Chapter 3 Tension

Kathrine pulled into Hawkins High parking into her usual spot. She peered out of her car not ready to face the storm, she opened the door and slide out locking it slowly before turning around. She wore a denim skirt followed by a long sleeve teal turtleneck her long wavy hair fell behind her, but instead of wearing her own denim jacket she wore Billy's oversized denim jacket. It laid resting on her shoulders only, she still didn't understand how she convinced herself to wear it but the decision was made and it was too late to change her mind now.

Jonathan and Nancy sat on the hood of his car, their attention forced on kat as she walked up slowly not looking at them directly. Nancy's face scrunched up as kat stood in front of her.

"Hey, we're is Steve. " She said Peering around Nancy looking for her boyfriend.

"He's at practices." Nancy sighed softly but quickly bounced back with a grin that could make anyone feel guilty.

"who's jacket is that?" Nancy asked waiting for Kat to spill the juicy details. Kathrine looked down at her hands, fidgeting with her chipped black nail polish.

"It's U-um B-" Before his name slipped off her tongue the air once again filled with the loud roar of an engine. The blue Camaro pulled into Hawkins High, the same flaming redhead came running out of the car and skated off into the distance without a word.

Billy stepped out of his car wearing a blue button-down tee stoping just halfway up exposing his chest. His sleeves on his arms were slightly folded up, and his shirt tucked into his black denim Jean's. He turned searching for something or someone when his eyes meet Katherine's the tension between her legs started to steer with just a look. He grinned and walked over to her taking a long drag of his cigarette before tossing the bud behind her and blowing the smoke above them.

"You do look good in my denim jacket." He said loud staring her up and down almost as if claiming a prize. Nancy's eyes went wide as she grabbed her best friends wrist.

"Are you two dating," Nancy asked hurt filling her voice at the realization that her friend didn't tell her anything.

"No" "Yes," Katherine and Billy said in unison. Kat looked at Billy and gave him a stern look, he slowly began to grin as he watched her squirm under his gaze.

"No, we aren't," Kat said sturn looking at Billy then at Nancy. Nancy looked into her eyes but then sighed and smiled softly knowing she wouldn't lie to her, but still felt uncomfortable at there sudden closeness. Billy grabbed Katherine's arm and pulled her under his resting his huge bicep around Katherine's shoulders.

"But we can change that." He said with a wicked grin staring into her eyes. Kat stood there puzzled at the sudden affection but before she could protest the first bell rang, Billy looked into her eyes softly.

"Think about it." He said to her, pulling away and headed inside. Nancy stood up and grabbed Katherine's arm dragging her slowly to her locker. Kat walked with her two friends as they continued to rattle her with questions, but she was lost in her own world thinking about the mysterious blonde boy.

" You have gym today so after you have a lot of explaining to do Kat." Nancy began knocking kat out of her daze, She looked at her best friend who began pleading with her eyes. Katherine nodded agreeing looking at both of them and felt guilty she was leaving both of them out of her loop for once, she waved them both off before heading towards the gymnasium.

As she walked in some boys were already on the court playing basketball. Katherine entered the girl's locker room receiving immediate dirty glares, everyone whispered and started as she walked to her gym locker. She ignored everyone knowing that she was now the center of the gossip after Billy's stunt in the parking lot, she was pulled into an unfamiliar spotlight that she didn't want to be in. She began to change into her gym shorts and school shirt hastily.