Chapter: 12 Endless Nights

Steve POV

Steve sighed slightly once Billy slammed the door to the room, he walked over to Katherine sitting down where the blonde boy once sat. Dustin laid in the small recliner across from him pulling out a bag of Cheetos from his bookbag.

"You know it's not your fault Steve." Dustin said looking back at the boy who was caressing his sister's hand.

"If it's your fault then it's mine to we all we're there and we all choose to involve her. " Dustin continued, sadness began seeping into his eyes as he shoved his mouth with the cheesy sticks.

"No, nothing is your fault, Dustin, I was in charge of that situation i was in charge of all of you, so yes it is my fault." Steve reassured him, Dustin nodded slightly before picking up the remote and scanned through the channels.

Ms. Henderson barged into the room carrying with her a bundle of flowers in a small vase and some balloons in her hands. She set down the objects on the table with the rest of the gifts people had sent to Katherine.

" You boys are here early I'm used to seeing Katherine's boyfriend at this time." She hummed while she fixed the small table of gifts, Steve and Dustin exchanged confused glares to one another before looking back at the mother.

"What boyfriend mom?" Dustin asked still stunned slightly.

"The really sweet one with the beautiful eyes, Billy, i believe his name was." She continued causing both boys to stare at her together.

" Who told you, Billy, was Katherine's s boyfriend Ms. Henderson? " Steve was baffled at the woman's words as his gaze set on Katherine.

"He did. Why?" She turned around now to face both of them confusion filling her expression.

"If anyone is Kat's boyfriend its Steve's mom. " Dustin replied with a thick smile across his face looking over at Steve who began to sink into his chair. Steve looked over at the woman who stood there wide-eyed a little bit.

"I'm not-" He began but was cut off before he could proceed with his pleading.

"Listen i am not judging you three if you young kids are dating multiple people in this day and age then so be it I'm just surprised Kat could pull off two fine young men like you both....Dustin sweetheart Ms.Byers is going to be picking you up at 6 so remember to be outside before then." The woman announced and gave Steve a small squeeze on his shoulder before walking out of the room.

"So i guess you and Billy are in a relationship now." Dustin teased looking over at Steves's bright red face, he rolled his eyes at the boy's sly remark gluing his eyes back up to the sleeping girl while he continued to caresses her hand.

"How are you holding up Dustin?" Steve asked his eyes still locked on Katherine's sleeping body. Dustin began moving uncomfortably in his chair putting the tv up more and ignoring him entirely. Steve looked up at him giving him a serious glare.

"You can talk to me man it's okay." Steve said with a serious look on his face. Dustin had been silent the last couple of weeks, he would make a few smart remarks here there but he would stay silent most the days.

"No I'm fine everything is fine." Dustin slyly proceeding to shove Cheetos in his mouth to avoid the question. Steve quickly grabbed the remote control and turned off the tv and stared at the small boy; Dustin looked at the wall next to him not daring to look at Steve.

"It's werid... My mom is acting like nothing is happening and everyone around me keeps treating me like there is some big secret that im left out of...." Dustins face dropped and his voice began to shatter as he mumbled.

"...i miss her and I'm scared that she won't wake up..... because it would be my fault, i kept Dart and i wanted to find him so if she dies...." But his words trailed off as his tears streamed down his face, instinctively Steve rushed to his side crouching down to his level.

"No, it's not Dustin nothing is your fault and if you want someone to blame then blame me ok." Steve whisperer hugging the small boy. Before he could say anything more a knock filled the space and both of them looked up to see Will stuck his small head through the door.

"Hey um, you ready?" Will said while trying not to acknowledge what was going on, Dustin got up wiping his face with the back of his sleeve while picking up his belongings quickly. He began walking towards the door but turned around slightly to face Steve.

"Um thanks, Steve.." He murmured before turning around and walking out the door before he could reply. Steve let out a long sigh before standing and walking up to Katherine's unconscious body.

"Night Kat." He whispered, brushing some of her hair out of her face, before pulling away he leaned slightly down plating a small kiss on her forehead before leaving the room. As he walked down the silent halls he let the memories of her smile fill his head; reaching into his pockrt he serached for his car keys.

"Shit i left them in the room" He turned around quickly jogging down the long hospital, but before he could reach the room the door could be seen scarcely ajar and small sobs could be heard inside of the room.

"Ms.Henderson?" Steve suspected as he walked in, seeing the mother on her knees next to her daughter's bed squeezing her hand as hot tears filled her face.

"Oh, Steve.... I thought you boys left already." She stammered getting up rapidly while wiping the tears that proceeded to stream down her face. But all Steve could do was glance at the woman in front of him. Out of all the years, he had known the Hendersons, Ms.Henderson had never cried even when Katherine's father left she remained the same cheerful woman as always.

"I sorry I'm a complete mess." She apologized through a fake laugh attempting to lighten the mood as she continued patting her tears away. Steve walked up to her and hugged her promptly before she could say another word.

"No, I'm sorry that you and Dustin have to go through this Ms.Henderson. " Steve said as he proceeded to hug her, he could feel the woman break down under him. The guilt began to creep into him as he looked towards Katherine's direction.

'It's my fault' He thought to him self somehow hoping she would hear his thoughts.

-----------------------

The slamming of the hospital door woke up Steve, he ended up staying the night and sleeping in the loveseat next to Kats' bed. His dark brown eyes glanced over at the heavy sound of boots entering the room, Billy had walked in looking exhausted and pissed.

"It's my turn, go home Harrington." Billy muttered while plopping himself on the chair next to Katherine's bed.

"You look like shit." Steve said causing Billy to pull out a pair of sunglasses and promptly put them on his face.

"I was up late last night, what's your excuse ass-hat?" Billy retaliated, as he looked over at him through his thick lenses.

"Why the hell are you here Billy?" Steve said annoyed-looking over the dirty blonde with his boots propped up on the small table next to Katherine's bed.

"Don't start with this shit again Harrington, i don't feel like kicking your ass again." Billy growled under his breath challenging Steve to say another word.

"You don't care about her Billy she's not some toy you can play with every time you're bored yo-.." Steve said aggressively his eyes not losing sight of the blonde boys. Billy got up from his chair removing his glasses revealing the dark bags and loss of sleep in his eyes but the piercing fire that grew behind his look is what stopped Steve from continuing.

"You're right Harrington she's not a toy so stop treating her like your own personal play toy i care more than you ever will!" Billy snarled back staring deep into Steves's eyes.

"You care?" Steve cackled, challenging the blonde boy. "You don't care, Hargrove, you don't even know her!" He got up rapidly getting in Billy's face not backing down from the stare-off that began; Billy opened his mouth to speak.

"I love he-.."

"Can you guys stop yelling your hurting my head..." A small voice interrupted causing both boys to stop there bickering and look at the unexpected voice.

"Billy...Steve?" Katherine asked looking at them both barely. "Where am i?"