The undoing

Sean's P.O.V

The Present

"Brad? Hey..." my father said, making all of us snap our heads up. Kaycee's dad? Why would he call him? "Yeah, hold on." And just like that, he reached his hand across the table, offering me the phone call that would make my mom realize just how wrong she had been.

"Brad? What's wrong?" I asked, my heart starting to beat faster and my chest constricting.

"Sean, it's Kaycee," he said with a trembling voice. I'd never heard Kaycee's dad with a voice like this, on the verge of breaking. "There was an accident."

"Accident? What happened?" I asked, rising from the table and rattling it so hard the glasses on it tumbled and one rolled off the table. I could barely hear it shattering on the ground as all hell broke loose. My mom reached to grab another glass about to fall, my dad got up and Serris tried to reach for the phone.

"Sh-She was walking h-home, I guess," Brad said, struggling to get the words out, "Sean, she was hit and they called and we're going to the hospital now. I know you guys were having problems, but she's hurt, Sean." He sounded like a wounded man trying to speak his last words. I was already out the door with my confused family following behind.

"I'm coming," I breathed just as my dad grabbed my car keys from me and pointed to his car instead. Sarah locked the door and ran to the car, all of us piling in just before the car tore off the driveway. "What did they say?" I asked, as a cold current ran through me. Angel, don't leave me.

"Nothing, just that she was taken into surgery."

"We'll be there in 15," I promised, thinking it was too long. I could almost hear her dad nodding on the other side of the phone as neither of us knew what to say.

I hung up and felt dizzy, realizing I'd held my breath the entire time. Don't panic, Sean. This is Kaycee, she can't...

"What the hell is going on?" Serris asked, breaking me out of my daze, fear so evident in her eyes. She was Kaycee's favourite in our family and they'd been so close before the chaos.

"Kaycee was in an accident. I knew I shouldn't have given in. I should've driven her home, this is all my fault," I rattled, unable to close my mouth. All of my panic was just trying to escape through my mouth.

"Sean, honey, I'm sure everything is okay. Just take a deep breath," my mom said from the front seat. Yeah, she didn't believe that one herself.

Sarah put her arm around me, trying to calm me down, but it wasn't working. I just wanted to hold Kaycee and never ever let her leave my sight again.

The minutes dragged for what seemed like hours. Cars passed until they blended in with the city lights and the only sound I could hear was my frantic heartbeat. Kayc, be okay. Please, just be okay.

I was out of the car before we even came to a full stop in front of the hospital, already sprinting towards the entrance.

"Sean, wait up!" Serris yelled after me, but it sounded like background noise.

My eyes scanned the waiting room for familiar faces. I thought maybe they weren't here yet until I heard a sob from my right. It was Kaycee's sister Kylie and she looked like she had just received the worst possible news.

"Sean!" Laura said through sobs as she spotted me , "they broke her."

I was so confused. Who broke her? What do you mean?

"She was hit by a speeding car. They said she's in a critical state and they can't promise anything," Devon, Kaycee's brother explained, resting his hand on my shoulder. Out of everyone there, he looked the most composed. But I knew he loved her to no end, so he must've been dying inside just like the rest of us.