The one with the answer

New chapter! I'm just going to apologize in advance, haha. I really hope you like this and that you don't hate me already. As always, let me know what you think!

"Kaycee, Sean, he um...," Sarah stuttered, forcing her emotions down, "Sean left."

My eyes painfully shut, I tried to figure out what that meant. "Left the hospital?" I asked, hoping they'd just say yes. I didn't remember the crash, but I did remember what happened prior to that. Had I been right in feeling he wanted to say goodbye that night? Was this just a convenient way for him to get his way out?

There was no reply, so I forced my eyes open, only to crumble on the inside. Serris had her bottom lip between her teeth, tears running down her cheeks in a constant stream. I knew that face. It was Serris trying not to bawl and I'd seen it a couple times before, only then it'd been while we watched a particularly sad movie or that one time she and Kylee had called it off. Only for a week, but she'd been so heartbroken.

Through blinding pain, I turned to look at Sarah, who avoided my eyes altogether. "Sarah?"

"He left for his workshops in Asia," she explained, wiping her eyes.

"Oh," I said, not sure why it made them cry so much. It was only for three weeks and we'd all known about it well in advance. Why are they crying?

But I never got the chance to ask, because just then the rest of my family entered the room in a rush, my mom first and everyone else following after, including Miya and Chuck to my surprise.

"Baby girl!" my mom said in a desperate cry before running to my side and laying her hand on the top of my head gently, "you're awake." It sounded almost like a breath of relief, the words distinguishable only to me. For a moment, I forgot about Sean and only thought about how my mom looked like she'd aged ten years in the past three weeks.

"Hey, mom," I said, managing a smile to tell her I really was awake and I was okay, "and everyone else. It's the middle of the night, why are you all here?"

"One of us was down," Miya said, smiling brightly from the other side of the room, "we wouldn't be anywhere else."

It was just another one of those times when I realized I was the luckiest person on the planet. Not only did I have the most caring, supportive and loving family, I had two. Sean's family had stuck around for three whole weeks, keeping my family company even in the early hours of the new day. I didn't know anyone else who'd been blessed with this much.

"You little fool, you scared me to death," Devon said, looking as if he wanted to punch me but thought better of it. Thank god, I thought, knowing it would've hurt like hell.

"I'm sorry," I said again, my bottom lip quivering out of regret and tears I tried so hard to hold at bay. I put them through this, I thought, closing my eyes to erase the image of worry written on their faces.

"We missed you, Kayc," Kylie said between heavy sobs, standing next to mom and leaning forward with her head next to my hand on the bed. I tried to reach out and comfort her, but I could only gently touch her hair, the movement hurting impossibly deep.

"I'm so sorry," I just whispered, not really sure what the right thing to say was, before being side-tracked by my dad sniffling his nose. It was already too much for me, but seeing my dad cry was my undoing. I'd never seen him shed a tear in all of my 19 years.

He came closer, standing where Sarah had been minutes before and his hands hovered over my body, terrified to lay a finger on me as uncontrollable sobs wrecked me, causing so much pain I thought I'd pass out. I just couldn't control the cries and I knew they couldn't hold me, but I wished they could make it go away.