The ugly floor

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for the long wait and I feel like I need to explain as many of you have asked me why I haven't posted. The thing is, I'm sick and so during the past week, I've been technically dead for 16 minutes. I won't turn this into a sob story, but that's why this chapter is short and a bit crappy and severly delayed. Again, I'm so sorry. 

BUT! I'm hoping we'll get back on track now as I have a Christmas surprise planned!

ALSO! 8k is in-sane! Thank you so much to each and every one of you.

Please comment. Please vote. Please tell me what this story makes you feel and think about, I love to read it!

Thank you. So much. 

Kaycee's P.O.V

The present

"Just one more step, girl. You've got it," Charlie said as she persuaded me to walk to the end of the hallway on my own two feet. I'd only done it once before and it was hell.

Truth be told, I could feel myself reaching my limit, both physically and mentally. Three times a week, I came back to the hospital I'd spent weeks in, just to cry my eyes out at the frustration I felt when my legs wouldn't carry me or when it started hurting, not to mention the countless times I'd lost my balance and landed face first on the squeaky blue linoleum floor. And boy did I hate that stupid floor at that moment.

"I can't," I wheezed, spent and grumpy, because after weeks of putting my everything into it, it seemed useless. I was happy to move without the crutches, of course, but it still sucked.

"Yes, you can. There's only like 5 more steps. Piece of cake," Charlie said, resting her hand on my lower back, encouraging me on. Kaycee, come on, don't be a wimp, Sean said in my head, smirking at my irritation just as the thought crossed my mind.

I trudged to the end of the hallway with strength I hadn't known I posessed and grabbed onto the railing attached to the awfully white wall, releasing a sob the second my skin touched the cold metal. And let me tell you why, to this day, I thank all that is holy for getting me to the railing in time – I would have fallen flat on my ass if I hadn't, because none other than Camilla, Sean's Camilla caught my eye down the hallway, and she was smiling at me. At least she was before pity took over and she swept her gaze over my sweats and simple white t-shirt.

Gripping the metal tighter to the point I thought I'd be able to bend it, I tried to steady myself on my feet. Charlie was speaking, but I couldn't make out a single word as Camilla started walking towards us. It took her what felt like an entire hour, but was probably only a few seconds to reach us before she stopped hesitantly a few feet away. Good. Don't come closer or you might lose some hair, I thought, but just as quick as the vengeful words circled my mind, I felt horrible.

"Kaycee! I'm so glad I ran into you," she said, but all I could think about was the fact that she finally remembered my name. No more Kylie or Katy or even Cassidy.

"H-hi," I stuttered, hastily trying to turn to face her before I almost lost my balance. From the corner of my eye, I could see Camilla reaching out for me, but Charlie caught me first and I was able to straighten myself against the banister. As I was battling with embarrassment, I realized it was really Camilla and my heartrate skyrocketed. Does that mean Sean's here? I wondered and looked past her. I don't know whether I wanted him to be there or not, but he wasn't.

"How have you been? It's been a while," Camilla asked almost hesitantly. Her usual bravado and calm coolness nowhere to be found. For a brief moment, I wondered if I made her nervous for some reason.