The surrender

Hi! This one is short, but necessary! 

What would you guys say if I told you the next chapter is the last one?

Kaycee's P.O.V

Throwback to a month ago

"Kaycee, Chase is here!" my mother yelled, barely audible as my door was shut and my mind was, as usual, too loud to focus on anything else. But I'd heard her, and I definitely let out a quiet groan, forcing myself to sit up and do my best at fixing my hair.

Chase, a friend from the series we shot years ago and someone I'd gone out with a few times, had been coming around a few times a week lately, and while I knew his intentions weren't necessarily friendly, I usually enjoyed the distraction. Staying in bed was a conscious choice, but that didn't mean it didn't get lonely and while I usually enjoyed the solitude and peaceful silence, it just wasn't that day.

Kylie had barged in in the morning, waking me up with the music blasting from her phone, an attempt to cheer me up. It had almost worked, at least until she accidentally clicked the button for the next song and because the universe hated me, False Confidence came on.

Do you know that feeling when a song comes on and suddenly it feels like you've miraculously learnt how to teleport? It happened to me a lot, but mostly I was transported back to the dancefloor where I'd danced to the song. With False Confidence, I was flown into my garage, back to practice. We'd been there for hours, both of us tired and cranky. Sean had sighed deeply about a million times and I felt like a petulant child, stomping my feet because it just wasn't working, and yet, it was a memory that warmed me from the inside out because while we danced through it for the last time, Sean had pulled me to him. His shirt was soaked with sweat, the white fabric see-through enough to outline his sculpted, heavenly chest and abdomen. I may have drooled a bit, pressed up against him, and I'd felt so content.

But now, it was like the whole world stopped. I could see specks of dust in the air where the sun was shining through the blinds, I could see the panic rising in my sister's usually calm irises and the slight down-turn of her lips as my breath got caught. Is this how it's going to be forever?

But just as soon as it had started, she'd managed to silence it and we were left in eerie emptiness, her eyes searching mine, most likely waiting for a breakdown that wouldn't come. I just felt numb and void of any real feeling, had for months. So the dust reached the ground, only to be jerked back up when she left me once again, shutting the door on her way out. I was left to struggle for my next breath, the gripping fear of never seeing Sean again, never really getting over him suddenly so loud in my mind while the slight heat in my heart faded.

So when Chase walked in, I was thankful for the company, as I was forced to smile, to make small talk and pretend I was the Kaycee he thought he knew and, ultimately, had a crush on. Yeah, he was easy to read and at times, I could look at him and admit to myself that he was attractive, but I wasn't about to fool myself. I knew very well that my attraction to him stemmed from my anger towards the idiot who'd left me with a broken heart. The same one who'd made me believe he might actually have feelings for me and then introduced me to his new girlfriend, only to fly her to the other side of the planet and leave me here to die. I hate you, Sean, I thought half-heartedly, feeling the burning rage, but too tired to focus on it as Chase appeared in my doorway.

Looking at him, you'd think he was a surfer boy from Australia, and while I understood the appeal, my type was much more...dark, messy hair, almost black, bottomless eyes and dimples deep enough to swim in. Having said that, he was still easy on the eyes and a distraction I was grateful for so I forced a smile and sat up in bed, ignoring the sharp pain in my busted leg and the headache that never seemed to ease up.