O N E

Macy Ripsom sat on the floor of her bathroom, fiddling nervously with her engagement ring on her finger. She looks at the ring closely, thinking about how it had been sitting on her finger for the past four years. With no wedding band insight, just the now rusted and dingy engagement ring.

Macy wanted nothing more than to get married and have a family. To have all the questions about her life stop, and to just be happy. Yet it always seemed that every time she and her fiancé, Oliver, got close to getting married, something else got in their way.

Macy's thoughts were cut off as the timer on her phone went off. Turning off the alarm, Macy got herself off the floor quickly. A sigh left her lips as she looked down at the pink pregnancy test that had been sitting on her sink.

Picking it up, Macy was met with the one line on the test, almost as it was staring back at her. She shook her head in disappointment, with her fist clenching around the test as she threw it away. The woman's knuckles turn white as she puts her hand on the sink, gripping it hard. She felt the tears begin to fall down her face and onto the sink. Macy lifted her head up, just wanting to see herself in the mirror.

She barely recognizes the woman staring back at her. The long black hair, the dark circles, all prominent features on the woman, yet Macy couldn't recognize any of these. Wiping the tears off her face, Macy left the bathroom and walked into her home office. She felt herself collapse into the office chair, burying her face into her hands.

The negative pregnancy test has now been added to the countless others that have turned up negative within the three years of the couple trying to get pregnant. While her fiancé Olive was an understanding man, she knew this was the reason the two hadn't married yet. The more negative test she told him about, the more distant he got, so she simply stopped telling him about them. Even with this the two still hadn't slept in the same bed consistently for six months.

She knew Oliver blamed her, that all of this was her fault. That she was the one reason they hadn't had children, and for some reason, he didn't care enough or couldn't bear to tell her. Macy had felt this feeling before, the feeling of being not enough. This caused a sense of déjà vu to run through her as she thought more about it, but she just couldn't think of why.

Macy had been so deep into the thought that she didn't notice the shuffling going on throughout her house. She was unaware that Oliver had seen the negative test and realized he couldn't take it anymore, couldn't take the lying and pretending that surrounded their relationship. He slams the door to his bedroom and begins going through his clothes, getting a duffel bag ready to leave.

He walks to her office, bag in hand, and sees her face buried in her hands. Oliver quietly sets the bag down beside the door, away from her view. " Macy. " He calls out, drawing her hands away from her face. She looks up at him with her bloodshot eyes, moving the hair from out of her face.

She doesn't respond.

" We need to talk. " He continues, walking deeper into the room and sitting on the couch across from her desk. " I don't know how to say this bu- " He gets cut off before he could finish.

" You want to separate. " She finishes, knowing that it was only a matter of time before this conversation came up. She watches Oliver rub his temples while looking down at the floor. " At least I don't need a divorce lawyer. " Macy scoffs to herself. Oliver tensed up in his seat, shaking his head at her statement. " Don't be like that Macy. " Oliver sighs, not wanting her to joke about this.

She was now looking him right in the eyes. " It's because we can't get pregnant isn't it? " She questions, becoming more annoyed as the conversation continues. " That's one of the reasons. " Oliver knew this wasn't a time to lie. " I found the test in the garbage can, and it had me thinking. " He continues.