Chapter 6 - Crisis Management

Esden, the Capital city of the Kingdom of Cardonia. One of the most well developed cities on the entire North Atlantic. Remarkably it is still not a member of NATO or North Atlantic Treaty Organization. The country maintains a neutral stance eversince, and it has maintained a sizeable army that could defend it's lands well if it needs to as history could tell, and it's geography also plays a part on it's defense. The choppy seas of the Atlantic and the towering mountain ranges to it's borders provides a natural defense with all of this factors the country could maintain it's neutrality. And although most of it's military are Western based there's a few Eastern tech mixed in and with it's self reliance programs ensures the country could survive on it's own.

Amidst the towering skyscrapers and business avenues, a typical view on a first world country, a large park sits on the center of it all. And within that hectares of park an old palace silently watches over the city.

Originally built in the 18th century it has undergone major renovations and survived a few fires. A traditional marvel that symbolizes the Kingdom itself. It is the seat of power of the whole Kingdom, the King's Palace.

Every year, a parade would start from here towards the Main Cathedral. Thousands of locals also storm the streets to witness the parade. But after a few hours after the declaration of National Emergency, the streets fell silent.

Armored vehicles and a few tanks from the Police and the Military now roams the once busy streets of the Capital. A battery of Russian Pantsir Short Range Air Defence System and a few German Leopard 2-A6 tanks now guards the Palace grounds.

And deep underground is where the command center for the King is located.

"Your Highness, a detailed report from the General is ready.", A man clad in a black suit said to the King.

The old King who is relaxing on his chair while reviewing different reports then said, "Took them long enough. Commander, put them on the big screen."

The Commander then orders his men to put the video report of the officials on the large LCD screen.

Then the live video report plays.

"Good afternoon your Highness, I'm General Quizon of the HQ Command. We have already completed a partial complete report on the events that took place in our country in the last 6 hours."

"6 hours ago before the supposed EMP attack. Our Doppler Radar's from the Weather Bureau detected a large thunderstorm surrounding the whole country. Our last satellite image we can recover shows us these.", The General explained as he shows a couple of pictures.

The timelapse satellite pictures shows large dark clouds began to circle the whole country and slowly covers the whole land. Surprisingly the weather phenomena only affected the Kingdom. France and Spain are enjoying a beautiful sunny day.

"Continuing your highness, based on our findings the Electro-Magnetic Pulse we've experienced didn't came from a Nuclear attack instead it is from the storm that covered our whole country. Our scientist and experts are still baffled on what caused such phenomena and the intensity of said phenomena."

"The Electro-Magnetic Storm, is mysteriously severe enough that it knocked out our whole Power Grid and even our military grade equipment that is designed to withstand such things didn't survived. We have reports that some of our equipment that is even deep underground had also been affected. Somehow the Electro-Magnetic storm was also able to intefere with the radio waves making use of radios useless from the early hours. And the flash of light everyone experienced might have come from the severe thunderstorm."

Then the King cuts the General, "So tell me General, do we have some sort of contingency plans?. We have a detailed plan in case of a nuclear fallout, don't tell me we don't have one for the situation we are in now."