birthday

Sophie threw on a pair of leggings and a hoodie before heading to the kitchen of her apartment in Atlantis.

As she was walking down the stairs, she quickly brushed her hair and pulled it into a tight ponytail.

She set the brush on a small side table at the bottom of the stairs and walked into the kitchen.

Now, the only time she's screamed louder was when the Neverseen had taken her and Keefe into an underground lair. But when one finds their best friend standing in the kitchen, you have the right to scream.

"Keefe, what are doing here?" she asked, after regaining herself.

Keefe laughed and set the tray he was holding on the counter. "It's your twentieth birthday!"

Sophie has totally forgot. Elves don't really celebrate birthdays because of their immortality.

"Oh my gosh! I completely forgot!" Sophie exclaimed.

"I knew you would, and I wanted to help you celebrate, so I had Edaline teach me how to make her amazing mallowmelt so we could celebrate your big day!" Keefe said, throwing his hands up.

Sophie laughed and threw her arms around his torso. Keefe didn't hesitate to put his around her waist, and when he did, Sophie nuzzled her head into his chest.

"Thank you for coming. And remembering," Sophie whispered.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Sophie looked up into his big, beautiful, ice blue eyes and her breath was taken away, as it always was when she looked into them.

He gave her a soft smile and pushed her back a bit.

He grabbed the tray of mallowmelt and asked, "Who's ready for mallowmelt?"

Sophie led Keefe to the small dinner table and they sat down. Keefe took a knife and cut the mallowmelt, giving each of them two pieces.

"Uhm, Keefe, don't you feel this might be a bit too much?" Sophie asked.

"What are you talking about? This is the perfect amount!" Keefe said, taking his fork and digging in.

Sophie rolled her eyes, but a small smile slipped through. She too grabbed her fork and started eating the gooey deliciousness.

As they were eating, the two friends laughed and cried tears of joy as they looked back at the time they were teenagers. Yes, there were depressing times, but there were also times of joy, which Sophie likes the most.

As Sophie was catching her breath from one of the funny memories, she noticed Keefe had stopped laughing and was looking at her.

"What?" she asked.

"You've got something riiiiiight.....here," he said, leaning over the table to wipe a piece of mallowmelt off her cheek.

But his hand lingered on her cheek. Sophie took the moment and leaned her face into it.

"Thank you," she quietly said.

"For what?"

"For being the best friend I could ever have."

"Yeah, well, I try."

With that, Sophie leaned forward across the small table and planted a kiss on his lips.

When she pulled back, Keefe's face was red.

She tried to hold back a giggle as she said, "You look like a tomato."

"Well yeah, it's because I love you!"

Now it was Sophie's turn to look like a strawberry.

"Well, I guess it's a good thing I love you, too Sencen."