letters

THIS CONTAINS LEGACY SPOILERS

Dear Keefe,
I'm never leaving your side, while you're asleep and even after you do.  You'll be reading this once you're awake, I'm not sure if I'll be with you or not, but a whole lot has happened so far. I won't tell you here because we'll probably bombard you with everything once you wake up. But these letters are to remind you why I'm staying here because knowing you, you're going to ask me why I stayed.

What I'm going to do is every week until you wake, I'll write about a memory. A good memory between us. And today I'll start with when we first met. When I was on my way to the Healing Center for that welt and you were laying across that bench, asking if I was skipping or lost. Not going to lie, because why would I, you looked adorable that day. You have always look adorable. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner.

Please wake up soon. That's all I'm asking for. I miss you.

Dear Keefe,
It's been another week, so I'm writing another letter. I would like to remind you, although you probably haven't forgotten, our ride on Silveny. When I say my heart and feelings were all over the place, I wouldn't be lying.  All those things you said to me still stay with me.

You said that you wouldn't let anything bad happen to me and you didn't. You protected me and put me first, which I am eternally grateful for. I feel like I should let you know that from the day I met you, I've been on your side and always will be.

I hope to see you again soon. I'll be here.

Hey, Keefe
Today I'm going to be looking back on our small moments, like our moments of reassurance and just being there for each other. How you always had a free hand I could hold onto in a time of need and vise versa. You're also always there when I need a shoulder to cry on, or when I need a hug.

Like when Mr. Forkle died, and you were there, I never needed you more. You were there with open arms and hugged me the tightest you ever had. You helped me in a time of grief and I could never repay you for your kindness.

Sup Lord Hunkyhair,
I'm missing you so much. While you're here physically, lying next to me, it's not the same. I don't get to hear your teasing jokes or your stupid yet witty remarks. I don't get to hear the soft voice you use when it's a small moment between us. I don't get to hear your voice.

Just wake up. I miss you more than words can describe.

Keefe, I'm losing it.
Everyone's trying to tell me it'll be okay, that you'll wake up soon, but I don't know what to believe anymore. I need you. It's been five weeks. It's been a month. It shouldn't be this long. I'm getting desperate. I need you.

As he read the last letter, he finally let the tears fall. He'd been holding them in because he didn't want Sophie to think he was emotional but he couldn't do it anymore.

"Keefe?" she whispered, lightly touching his arm.

"You ne-need me?" he chocked out through the tears.

"Of course I do. You mean so much to me."

Upon hearing these words, he softly grabbed her face and pressed his lips to hers. But he let go a second later, embarrassment appearing on his face.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean that. I don't know what overcame me, I just had a lot of emotions and I overreacted and I'm sorry," he rambled, looking down at his open hands.

Sophie smiled and tilted his face up with her fingers. When he finally looked into her eyes, she quickly kissed him again. It was a small and endearing kiss, one only they could share without it being weird or awkward.

When she let go, he gave an opened mouth smile which stretched from ear to ear.

"Please tell me you love me, too."

"Of course I do. I love you more than words can describe."

"Huh, that sounds familiar."

Sophie laughed and threw her arms around his neck. "There's the joke I needed," she whispered.

Keefe gave a small laugh and hugged her back. "You really know how to make a boy feel special, Foster."