Chapter 3 - Broken Bond

"Why the hell do you still exist? You're worthless." One of the village people tell. His comrades chucking rocks and sticks at the darker Guardian.

"Yeah! Why don't you kill yourself already!!"

"Demon!!"

"Miscreation!!"

"Worthless..."

Nightmare stands his ground, sitting on his branch in the tree with Kevin sitting peacefully in his arms. And yes, 'his' branch. He has claimed it as his own and shall not move from it just for the sake of pleasing the low lives below him.

He, though, was starting to get fed up with them throwing rocks at him. They almost hit Kevin for christ sake! Finally, he decides to take action by gracefully catching one of the rocks, and throwing it right back at them, it hit one of them right in the nose. The sound of screaming is all he could hear as he watched this man's nose starts to bleed.

"Bullseye!!" Nightmare yells, feeling very accomplished with himself.

"You ass hole!! You broke my nose!!"

The Guardian simply shrugs and turns away from them. "Shouldn't have been throwing rocks at me then."

The man snarls, Nightmare can practically feel him glaring into his soul. The trio then runs off. Nightmare giggles in delight hearing them run off. What losers.

"Nightmare!!" Nightmare's joy vanishes hearing his other half's voice. He turns around to look down at Dream and frowns, seeing his expression. He saw what Nightmare did, but of course, he didn't see what happened before he threw the rock.

He never sees the full story...

"Dream..."

"Nightmare..."

Nightmare tries to keep calm, but usually, when he's here he isn't in restraints. Hell, he's usually able to move about the cell. But right now, he's stuck, making it almost impossible to remain calm.

"Why am I in chains? And what the hell is with the wires?" Nightmare inquires. He was slightly nervous for the answer, but unfortunately, he had an idea of what it will be.

"The chains are to keep you from escaping, obviously. And the wires? Well, dear Nightmare, that's simple." Dream keeps a straight posture. Thanks to the restraints that lifted Nightmare off the ground, he was at eye level with his other half. Nightmare stares into his golden eyes, trying to figure out what's going on. Trying to read the look in his eyes like a book, though it's impossible. Dream lets out a chuckle, letting a small smirk tug at the corner of his lips. Seeing Nightmares confusion was certainly a sight to see. Never would he have thought to see the day Nightmare finally getting serious about the situation he's in. Dream paces around the room, Nightmare followed his movements. It was obvious that Dream was thinking.

"Simple? What do you mean? Why is it 'simple'?" Nightmare shuddered, feeling his heart rate pick up with panic. Questions with no answers flood his mind like hurricane Katrina, and wherever the hell it flooded. Either way, it was unbearable.

Once Dream was done pacing about the room (probably to make sure Nightmare's friends weren't anywhere), he stood in front of his other half.

"You see, Nightmare, if you don't remember, I can't kill you...we are connected...destiny bound..." Dream looks at Nightmare, making eye contact with his amethyst eyes. "A team of scientists and I have been working on a side project, a machine that will separate that bond..." Nightmares heart picked up its pace, his pupils shrinking. No...he knows why he's here.

"We finally made a breakthrough on that project, Nightmare..."

He was here to be killed...

Nightmare's breathing quickens slightly. This can't be happening. No. His friends will come and rescue him. He knows they will. They're probably on their way right now! Nightmare tries to comfort himself, attempting to reassure himself of his situation.

"Don't worry though, Night." Nightmare looks back up at Dream, his eyes shifting left to right, searching for some kind of emotion in Dream's eyes. Nothing... "Once our bond is broken, I'll make sure to make your death quick..." Nightmare chuckles nervously. In all honesty, he was scared. For the first time in a long time, he was generally scared.

"Dream, you don't have to do this you know?" He studders, already knowing what Dream will say, but hoping that maybe, just maybe, he'll say something different. Perhaps change his mind.

"Yes, I do Nightmare... Your negative spirit is what's in the way of my goal. You are the reason people feel sad, scared, hopeless, and any other emotion of such. For that, you must be eliminated."

"But Dream!" Nightmare quickly pleaded, seeing Dream about to take his leave. "You're doing this all wrong, you don't need to kill me! We were best friends you and I! Won't you miss me?!" Dream stays silent and very still. Nightmare stares at him, hope beginning to rise in him. It was shattered...

"No, you're a mistake...I won't..." With that, he walks out. Nightmare tries to hold back the threatening tears but to no avail. He looks up, hearing the door closing and locking in place. Through the barred opening, he saw the man in the lab coat, standing there. He sees as he presses a few buttons before waiting. Nightmare struggles, fear increasing rapidly. His heart pounded in his chest.

A few moments pass.

He watches in horror as the man flips a lever, glancing over at him with no hint of sympathy. Nightmare's eyes widen, feeling a bit of a shock before feeling a numbness wash over. All he could do was hang there as he felt every once of his strength being drained away from him. Something snaps...

The bond is broken.

The cuffs release him, letting him fall to the floor, wires de-attaching from him. He felt so weak and dizzy, there was a ringing in his ears. The fact that he couldn't feel the bond anymore was a strange feeling. He wasn't use to it.

Nightmare weakly tries to push himself up, his body trembling violently from the fear and sudden tiredness, but he simply collapses back onto the ground. Tears slide off his face and onto the floor. He doesn't even hear the sound of the man's body hitting the floor outside his cell over his overwhelming thoughts. And though his vision is blurry, he can see the door slowly opening.

He can't die, he won't die, this can't be happening.

"Dream..." He speaks, his voice was quivery. The door continues to open, starting to reveal a tall figure. Tears clouded his eyes, causing his vision to blur even more. But instead of one figure with a glistening light behind them, he sees two figures, both of which he recognizes.

A very weak smile creeps onto his face seeing the two idiots standing at the doorway. He knew they would come for him.

Both run over in a panic, seeing Nightmare in his current state. All three of them hear the rapidly approaching footsteps getting closer. Cross was the first to react, picking up Nightmare and dashing out of the cell, Error following close behind.

Nightmare grips onto Cross' hoody, slowly losing consciousness.

They get out alive and mostly undetected, but that doesn't stop the mad dash the two were doing until they safely arrive back at home. Cross sets their exhausted friend down onto the couch and quickly runs to get Nightmares fluffy blanket. Meanwhile, Error proceeds to check Nightmare for any injuries, only finding one scratch on his neck. Cross comes back with the blanket and throws it onto Nightmare, making sure it's covering every inch of his body from the neck down. Reason why? He felt so cold and looked oh so pale. It scared Cross.

Kevin immediately knew something was up and proceeded to jump up ontop of Nightmare and sit there as if he were a bodyguard.

Nobody knew what to do, it's all too much to process. One thing that Nightmare knew though, was that he was no longer safe. Dream could kill him if he so much as see him.

A truly terrifying thought...