Chapter 20 - Power Fueled By Rage

"You'll always be my friend...right Kevin?" Kevin the chicken, only clucks in response as Nightmare smiles. His other two friends give him a weird look.

"You're strange."

"Oh please, I already knew that. Dream would remind me every day!"

The three had decided to go "camping," get out of the house, be outside. It was pretty peaceful so far.

"Error, did you bring-?"

"Stuff to make smores? Sure did!" Error says. He proceeded to pull out the needed ingredients to make smores. Nightmare grins then looks at Cross.

"And you got the portable grill? With food?"

"Yup!"

"And I got the tents! Let's set up then."

Error moves to help Nightmare with the tents. However, both of them, no matter how many times they read the instructions, couldn't seem to do it right, only ending with Cross laughing at them. Once Cross got the grill up, he went to help them put the two tents up. Since Error and Nightmare agreed to share a tent, they only had to put up two.

"Are you sure you want to share?" Nightmare asks, "I know how you are with your phobia, and I can sleep outside."

"Or in my tent."

"Exactly! So-"

"Nightmare it's fine really! I don't wanna be alone in a tent, and if I had to share, I'd rather it be you I shared with." Error smiles at Nightmare, reassuring him. Nightmare smiles softly and nods.

"Ok."

"And I get to share with Kevin!" Cross shouts, causing all three to laugh.

The three finally got the tents up. Nightmare sets up the fire as Cross begins to cook on the grill. Surprisingly, He's way better at grilling than at the stove. Low bar...but still.

After the food, they begin the smores.

"How 'bout some stories?" Nightmare suggested.

"Unless you wanna hear about how horrible my universe was, I'll pass on telling," Cross says, then looking at Error.

"I've got nothing..." Error says sadly. Cross gives him a reassuring pat on the back, making Error smile.

"What about you Nightmare?"

"Yeah, I'm sure you have some stories! Maybe, ones about you and Dream? Before everything got messed up?"

Nightmare thinks for a while. He has lots of interesting stories to tell about him and Dream when younger.
Cross rolls his eyes, "If it's about how much he was a dick-"

"Actually, he wasn't always...you know...like that..."

Error leaned closer smiling, honestly really wanting to hear about Nightmare's past.
Cross sighs and listens, though he hates Dream it would be interesting to hear about him. Maybe something could be used as blackmail?

"Surprisingly, me and Dream were really close, though 99.99% of the time I'm sure he was annoyed with me." Nightmare smiles, thinking about the past. "But...I know all he was trying to do was look out for me. I was just a pain in the ass, and I knew that."

"That's sweet-"

"Doesn't change my opinion of him..." Error gives Cross an unamused look before directing his attention back onto Nightmare.