Chapter 16 - The End...?

"So what's with that key?" Was the first thing that came out of Cross' mouth that day. Nightmare looks over at Cross, kinda surprised he noticed it in the first place.

"What are you talking about?" Maybe he can convince him there's nothing? Apparently not.

Cross rolls his eyes before reaching down Nightmares shirt and pulling out a silver key with a golden sun carved into it.

Nightmare blushes, laughing nervously as he stares at the key Cross pulled out.

"Oh, that key." Cross let's the key slide off his hand and fall to Nightmares chest. He sits back on the couch, looking at Nightmare.

"What's it for?"

Nightmare looks to his side, not sure if he should share. He hated the memory...but somehow, he felt an urge to keep that key with him, though the promise made with it was broken long ago. Nightmare sighs before looking back up at Cross.

"It was a gift from Dream, a long time ago...I don't want to get into details."

Cross' face went from curiosity to shock, then to a bit of disappointment.

"Why do you keep it...? Doesn't it just make you upset...?" Nightmare looks down at the key, taking in every detail. How the silver glistened in the sunlight. How the curves of the engraved sun felt. How it held many secrets, but only one truth. Every good memory it has within it. And yes, even the sad ones.

How it particularly reminds him of Dream...

It does make him kinda sad, true that.

But he wanted to hold onto something from the past. These memories make him happy.

Nightmare smiles sadly at the key. Those memories are important to him.

"Yes..."

"But it encourages me to continue onwards."

Nightmare set up a small camp for the night, nothing more than a small fire, and some food he managed to hunt down. He sits there near the fire, roasting the piece of meat on a stick. This would be less boring if his friends were here. He let's out a sigh as he thinks of them. All he can hope is that they are doing OK. There's definitely one thing he has on his mind...and that's the suspicious presence that hasn't seemed to leave. Is someone watching him...?

He sighs again, pushing the thought away. That's clearly not the only weird feeling he's having that for sure. One thing is for certain, Nightmare isn't use to the feeling of his crown not being on his head. He decided to leave it to blend in more with the crowd when he goes into town to find his friends. He's not use to not having it.

He pulls in the stick and checks the meat on it, seeing if it looks cooked. He takes a bite out of it and sure enough, it was done perfectly. Nightmare digs in immediately. He hasn't really eaten all day so you can't blame him. The cooked food was gone in a matter of seconds. Nightmare stands up, dusting himself off and going to grab more twigs for the fire.

Of course, the movement of leaves is what caught him off guard again. His heart picks up the pace as he looks around in the dark.

"Damn it just show yourself already! I know you're there!" Nightmare yells, summoning his weapon. His eyes dart from left to right, trying to find the person who's been stalking him. He turns to look all around him, the fire is out by now.

Then behind him, came footsteps. He turns to find his stalker. His heart stops at the face. Fear strikes through him. He can't hold back his trembling.

"Surrender peacefully...and I'll make this quick and painless for the both of us..." The lighter guardian rose his claymore to Nightmares throat, there was no emotion in his gleaming eyes.

Nightmare snaps out of his trance and steps into battle stance, raising his weapon, ready to fight.

Dream let's out a huff of disappointment before swinging at Nightmare. Nightmare barely jumps out of the way, swinging his weapon and shooting a wave of purple magic from the attack. Dream blocks it, but it through him off his balance, giving Nightmare a chance to make a run for it.

Nightmare runs, not knowing where he was going. Dream quickly follows behind him. Nightmare makes many turns but Dream stayed with him. Nightmare smirks, looking behind him, seeing Dream struggling to keep up. Nightmare looks back in front, his eyes widen as he skids to a stop.

"No..." He made the wrong turn...

The revine...he turns back around, only to be grabbed violently by the neck as Dream holds him over the cliff. Nightmare claws at Dreams arms, looking into his eyes only to find hatred....it hurt Nightmare....

Dream held his sword...

"Dream! I-"

"Don't try begging your way out...I don't care! Your nothing but a nucence! You shouldn't even exist! You cause NOTHING but suffering to others! You won't convince me other wise..."

"Dream...I know you still care right...?"

"You've caused me nothing but trouble..."

Tears ran from Nightmares eyes, but some anger rose in him.

"Kill me then! Do it I dare you! You won't, you wouldn't!-"

Silence...

Blood ran...

Tears flowed...

Blood ran from Nightmares mouth as Dream pulled his now bloodied claymore out from Nightmares chest.

"Should have just surrendered when you had the chance...don't worry, your friends will join you in the afterlife soon..." Dream let's go of Nightmare, and watches him fall into the dull revine, watching until he vanishes into the darkness out of view. Dream stares into the blackness for a little while longer, holding back screaming feelings that wanted to show.

"Rest well...old friend..." he puts his sword safely back into his belt, and turns to make his exit with the lingering thought now in his mind.

Nightmare was finally dead...

It's all over now....

Is it....?

(Sorry for it being short.)