Chapter 4 - Anger Management

I'm not sure what to do... Every time I try to express what I want, you ignore it.

"You don't need to go help them you know. They're way too dependant on you."

Every time you try to help me, I get scared. I don't want you hurt.

"Nightmare I want to help them. Maybe if you help too they'll lighten up to you"

You want them to like me, so you can continue being around them without something holding you down.

Nightmare clenches his fist, a bit frustrated and honestly...a bit jealous...

But I know deep inside you just want everything to be ok.

"Can't you spend at least, oh I don't know, a DAY with me without having to go 'help' the village people!?"

So all I really want is for you to just notice me.

Dream turns around to look at Nightmare, a bit shocked by his unexpected attitude. He locked onto how Nightmare said 'help'.

"Excuse me!?" Dream chuckles, but it wasn't a laugh of joy, and that smile wasn't one of happiness. It was anger...

"You heard me! Don't think I don't know, you're using them as an excuse to avoid me!" Nightmare yelled, he holds back the tears beginning to form.

All I want is for you to spend time with me.

Dream scowled at Nightmare, annoyed by his attitude. "Why would I do that!? Do you actually think I'm avoiding you?! No!!"

"Stop lying!!!"

For you to put me first.

"I see you all the time!! You're always just hanging out with them!! And you never even think that maybe your best friend wants to spend time with you too?! Do you genuinely think I'm that annoying!?!?"

"Well, Nightmare what do you want me to say? Yes! You're always causing trouble and you never listen! And you're always so gosh darn needy!! Of course, I'm the one who has to fix YOUR mistakes!!"

"Well, maybe I wouldn't be causing trouble if maybe you were spending a bit more time with me! It's the only way you seem to pay even a little bit of attention to me!"

"Then go find some goddamn friends if you're that lonely Nightmare!"

It's all I wish for...

Nightmare's eyes widen as tears begin to flow. Does he truly mean that? No, he can't.

"You're never there for me...you never were..." He sobs. Dream simply rolls his eyes before furiously walking away.

Is for you to care...

Nightmare leans against the tree, letting himself slide down. He sits there and sobs, gripping onto both of his arms tightly, trying to stop the tears. He trembles trying to prevent further tears. But it's no use.

So why don't you love me?

Nightmare wakes up to the smell of pancakes. Slowly looking around the room as his vision clears up. Of course, the first face he sees after that blurriness goes away is his pet chickens. He weakly lifts his arm and places his hand over Kevin's back, beginning to pet him.