Chapter 6 - Is It So Wrong?

Dream opens his eyes, waking up from his slumber. He hears a violin softly playing in the other room. Confirming it was whom he thought it was, all he had to do was turn his head to the empty bed on the other side.
He lets out a sigh, getting up from his bed and leaving the room. Walking into the living room, he finds his brother by the window playing his prized possession. His violin.
Dream takes a step forward, taking a seat on the couch, facing Nightmare. Dream personally loves listening to Nightmare play. Whenever a rough day goes by Dream would listen to Nightmare's violin. It calms him, makes him feel at peace. In his mind, there's nothing quite as good as Nightmare's playing. He's certainly good at it, maybe even too good.
Dream sits for a while, listening peacefully to Nightmares violin. Almost falling asleep at one point.
Finally, Nightmare stops, turning to face Dream.

"I didn't think you could get any better at this since you're already so wondrous at it, but you have." Dream mentions, smiling. Nightmare shrugs and smiles back.

"I think you're going crazy then." Nightmare speaks as he sets his violin and bow in its case. Dream sighs, getting up from the couch and stretching.

"You need to stop doubting yourself." He says mid-stretch. Nightmare simply ignores him as he temporarily places the case against the wall. He looks at his brother who had walked over to him.

"Hey Night? I know that today is our birthday, but I can't wait till morning so."

"Well, it is midnight. The hell did you get? I told you I didn't want anything."

"You'll like it. I promise."

Nightmare scoffs before sighing and giving in. Dream smiles before digging into his pocket and pulling out what looked to be two necklaces. Nightmare raised and eyebrow at Dream truly baffled about what Dream pulled out of his ass this time.

"What is it?" Nightmare questions, looking curiously at the chains. Dream separates them, letting the chains fall to their full lengths. Nightmare stares at them. One was a gold chain with a silver key, a sun engraved into it. The other was also a key, but it has a moon engraved on it, and the key was gold with a silver chain. The two, to Nightmare, meant something.

"There's a locket to go with them. One key needs its other half to open it, they need each other to unlock it. Like us, we need each other to unlock the doors we can't seem to open alone. We need to be there for each other, no matter what." Dream hands his other half the silver key. Nightmare stares at it, hesitant. He looks at his brother, hoping that he meant the words he said.
Dream nudges the key forward, inviting Nightmare to take it. With doubt, he grabs it, staring at its details, enchanted by its beauty. Nightmare struggles to hold back tears.

"Promise you mean it?"

"Yes."

Lies.....

Dream sat in his office, the event of yesterday still lurking in his mind. It has created millions of thoughts in his brain.
Is this the right thing to do?
Is it really for the best?
Why the hell does he still care...
He shouldn't care.
Nightmare is a threat.
The harder he tries to block the thoughts out, the worse they get...memories of the past flooding back. Memories he wishes he could just forget.
Nightmare... He remembers the look on his face when Dream ate the apples and became what he is now. His betrayal... and the look he had when Dream had found him for the first time. When he made the organization. Whenever he was captured.
Then further back...
He remembers the fights. Nightmare hated it when the villager's drug Dream away for 'help'. They kept growing further and further apart.
All the broken promises. All the sadness. The fear in his eyes...
he doesn't want to die... Nobody does... Death gets us all though anyways...
Like...
Dream freezes. His eyes widen with tears at the sudden remembrance...
Ani...
Tears stream from Dream's eyes. He misses them so much. He wishes he could have saved them, yet, there was nothing he could have done. Ani had an incurable disease. There was nothing he could have done to save them... To save his love... What would they think about this? They have always tried to convince Dream that there's a better way to doing this all...
All of these thoughts that are among so many others swarm Dream's mind. It becomes too much for him to bear. If only he could just stop. If only he could just forget.
Dream silently sobs, he tries to stop the flowing tears but to no avail. It's pointless...