Chapter 5 - Memories

"Boring..." Nightmare threw the book he had aside. He stood up stretching, feeling some bones pop. The library has not been getting good books lately, and it's making Nightmare really pissed off. It's the only thing he has to do when Dream is 'busy'.

"This is bullshit..."

"Nightmare, language."

Nightmare turns to Dream, giving him an unpleasant look. He looks away, crossing his arms like a child. He still hasn't forgiven Dream.

"What?" Dream asks, bewildered to why Nightmare could be mad at him. He finally remembers. "your not still mad at that are you?"

"Oh gee Dream, um, I'm not sure. Maybe an apology will help me clear my mind."

"I'm not apologizing for something you started, Nightmare." Dream spat, not impressed with the darker guardian's attitude.

"Fine, then have fun with me not talking to you then..." Dream simply rolled his eyes before making his way to their little home on the other side of the tree.

Once Dream was out of sight, Nightmare fell onto his knees. Tears hitting the grass below him as he fell into a gentle sob.

"It's not like you would care anyways."

It's truly unfair to him.

"You never even spend time with me..."

Almost a week has passed since the incident with the JR, and Nightmare is finally able to walk again without feeling like he's literally dying. He's overjoyed about this, spending most of his time outside in the back yard running around or doing something stupid. Spending a week inside only laying on a couch with nothing to do can certainly drive you a bit insane.

"Nightmare it's too early for this, you're going to end up getting yourself killed," Cross remarks, looking up at Nightmare, who was up in a tree. Kevin, who stood at the foot of the tree, stared up at Nightmare. He hopped up and down, flapping his wings trying to get up to his pall.

"Cross, my mother is a tree. I'll be fine. I'm the master of the forests!" Nightmare exclaimed confidently. He climbed higher into the tree. It was impressive to Cross how fast he was going with no worry whatsoever. Finally, he reached the top. Nightmare stands on the branch, looking off into the distance. He smiled softly, feeling the nice breeze brush against him.

What a truly beautiful day.

He lets out a large exhale before sitting on the branch.

"So, I'm guessing you're going to be up there for a while."

"Unless you guys have a plan today?" Nightmare turns to Cross, who was now at the foot of the tree next to Kevin.

Cross sighs, looking up at Nightmare, an unsure expression crossing his face.

"I just don't feel safe with us going out again after what happened..."

Nightmare hums in disappointment, laying on the branch, looking at the emerging light in the distance. "Are you coming inside?" He looks down at Cross before looking back into the distance.

"Go in without me." The walking X shrugs and heads inside, leaving Nightmare alone on his branch. Nightmare continues to stare off into the distance with the sun beginning to rise.

It brings a tear to his eyes...

It simply reminds him of Dream...Dream loved the sunrise and the sunset. He remembers Dream dragging him to the highest place in the village (which was usually the tree of feelings) and they would watch these particular events.