Chapter 10 - Betrayal

Darkness surrounded him

"Dream what are you doing!?"

Fear consumed him

"What needed to be done, brother."

Hope was slipping

Nightmare watched in horror as Dream consumed the apples from the tree. Taking the last bite, his body trembled, feeling the power coursing through his veins. Tears streamed down his face. He gripped onto his chest as light magic rose from his back, and formed into wings. His eyes began to glow a yellow light.
He was radiant.
Nightmare continued to stare as the situation got progressively worse.

"Dream!?" He finally spoke.

Dream turned to him, his eyes widened and glowing. He did it....but did he...?

"Nightmare." Dream clutched onto his chest again, gripping onto the ground with his other hand. It seems that his transformation hasn't been completed yet.
Nightmare looked down at his feet, there, was the last golden apple. He looked up at Dream and back at the apple. Tears streamed down his face, knowing what he had to do.
He grabbed the apple, and Kevin, who was behind him and ran. He ran as far as he could, for what seemed to be forever, he kept running as tears continued to fall.

He'd been betrayed.

All of them were in distress. Nightmare couldn't be dead...right? But all the facts are right in front of them. Cross did find a trail of blood, but eventually, the trail vanished. Error was trying not to crash as Cross was trying to hold in his feelings. Ari, on the other hand, was a complete mess about it, thinking it was his fault since Nightmare had to slow down to help him catch up. Kevin was certainly showing feelings about the situation. Cross, pacing back and forth, finally stops. He looks at the other two, seeing how messed up they are and sighs.

"He can't be dead."

"What makes you say that...?" Error stutters, whipping off his glasses.

"Because Nightmare wouldn't just give up that easily, and he sure as hell wouldn't go down without a fight. That trail was going somewhere...he has to be alive..."

"B-but, what if he's not..." Ari whimpers, trying to wipe away his flowing tears though it was pointless. Cross sighs and approaches Ari, kneeling down in front of him. Ari looks up at him, trying to calm himself.

"Look, kid, this isn't your fault."

"Yeah," Both Ari and Cross look over at Error, who was in the middle of cleaning his glasses. "Cross is right. Trust me, Nightmare has done some crazy things in the past and has come up on top every time. He's not the greatest person in the world, but he certainly isn't the worst... We just have to hope he avoided death once again."

Cross smirks as Ari wipes away his remaining tears. "Really...?"

"Hell yeah." Ari smiles before looking down at the floor, hopefully, he's ok...

"All we need to do is find him before the JR or Dream does."

The two both nod before standing up with Cross and grabbing the stuff they had left.

"Let's head out, I'd say we head back to the house and gather what we can, then find a new place to live. It would be suicidal to live there anymore right now." Error nods as Ari's face lit up with an "Ah-Ha!" Expression.

"I know someone who can help!"

Both Error and Cross look at him with suspicious glances.