Chapter 18 - Why Him

Figs POV

The attacks.

The bathroom incident.

Allen loosing his temper.

His tiredness.

Oh gods.

Allen wouldn't.

He couldn't.

"Fig?" Hero said, snapping me out of my daze. "What's wrong?"

My throat refused to let me make a noise. I tried to gather my thoughts, but my mind was racing. How could this happen? I would have woken up right? There was no "monster", it was Allen.

He wasn't a monster.

No.

He was my best friend.

I swallowed and looked Hero in the eyes. I glanced down at Allen, he was fast sleep in his cot.

"It's nothing, I just don't do blood" I lied

She nodded. " Neither do I. I'm surprised I've made it this far without vomiting. Probably the adrenaline or something."

"Yeah, that." I agreed, my eyes glued to Allen's rising and falling chest. "You should go get some sleep Hero, I'll stay here with Allen."

"You sure?" She asked

"Yeah, we'll be fine fine"

Hero sat up from her chair and left the room. The soft thuds of her shoes echoed in the spacious room. The door squeaked, and she was gone.

I turned my attention to Allen. How had I not realized something like this before? What was going to happen to him?

A knot formed in my stomach. He would be kicked out for sure, probably sent to some prison or that crap.

For once in my life, I felt actually angry. Not at Allen, but at everything that had happened. This year was going perfect. Sure there were bullies, but i had friends and that's what mattered. Now he was going to be taken away, and I was fuming. No drunk mother, nor any amount of confinement would be worse than right now.

There was no way this situation would play out fine. The nurse knew, she would tell the headmaster. From there, who knows what could happen, and none of it would turn out good for Allen.

Why him?

Why did he have to always get hurt?

I looked down at his hand and took it in mine. Allen was in trouble and I didn't know how to fix it.

My eyes glistened.

I had to do something.

I could do nothing.