Chapter 12- I Get To Love You

I Get To Love You- Ruelle

Early March:

"Hey, Ed-" Sanya pushed the door to her boyfriend's study- which opened to show him sitting in his chair, peering and frowning at an enormous mass of papers on his desk, wearing his reading glasses and looking frazzled. "Um- you alright?"

Edmund looked up, "Can't talk right now, have to go over some-" that was some? "paperwork over the new trade deal with Tashbaan, and then send a Raven to Drinian, and see about the guest list-"

"Bye, Ed." She said, sighing, turning back around and leaving; suddenly feeling lonely and neglected- she wished, for a moment, she could go back home- and her wish to have a dog intensified at that moment.

But....she DID have a horse.

And she really hadn't visited-

"Sorry!" She said automatically as she collided with a solid figure, and looked up to see blue eyes and blond hair.

"It's fine." Peter said dismissively, before looking at her. "Got a special date with Ed? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen you in a gown on normal days."

Sanya shook her head, smoothing the black and gold skirt. "No, no special date, I just liked the dress. And Ed's busy."

"Even for you in this dress?"

"Apparently so." There was more defeat in her tone than bite, which she had not intended. "Well-bye."

"At loose ends?" He asked, instead of repeating the farewell. "You're generally with him, aren't you?"

"Yes- I guess I am. I was actually going to the Stables, to see my horse."

"There are other human beings in the castle, you know." He told her, half teasing.

"I prefer animals."

"I'm not surprised to hear you say that." The High King shrugged, eyes twinkling. "Anyway, fancy a ride together?"

"I- oh hell, I'll have to change then, I can't go horse riding in THIS." Sanya really hated making effort. And she really wanted Edmund to see this dress.

"No, it's fine, I can teach you to ride side saddle." He said, offering his arm to her, which she took. "Ed is the better horseman but I'm a fine rider."

"Okay, then. Are you sure, though? Don't you have pompous Kingly duties to tend to?"

"I might be High King but Caspian is the main Ruler now, so he has to work." And there was a wicked glint in his eye and a smirk on his face. "'Sides, I haven't been on Frank in ages."

"Your horse?"

He nodded, as they entered the path through which they would reach the Stables. "Frank was the first King of Narnia."

"Wait, your horse was a King?"

"No, you twat, my horse is NAMED after the first King of Narnia." But he couldn't help a laugh- Aslan, this girl...

"Ohhh. My horse is named after a fictional character. Ginny, from Harry Potter."

Peter nodded as if he understood and knew what that was. "Mine is named after royalty and yours is named for a character. Figures."

Sanya shrugged in agreement- the names really were perfectly attuned to their personalities.

-

Edmund was not jealous, not at all, when he saw his girlfriend giggling with Peter on the way back from the Stables, it being clear from their face and hair they had gone riding (hopefully he was right). He was just (ir)rationally confused and felt ever so slightly neglected.