Chapter 20- Ocean Eyes

Ocean Eyes- Billie Eilish

Late July:
The first time Peter and Sanya kissed was quite an accident. It had been about three months since their first date, and it was during a time when everyone was still adjusting to the other Pevensie brother dating the resident future girl (it was hardest for Edmund, but it wasn't like he could show it).

Anyway, Peter had fallen headlong for Sanya (despite her everything, she thought) and she herself liked him more and more every day. He was different from Edmund- louder, more brash, less sarcastic (though no less sassy), more outgoing, more confident in his own skin and self.
Most of their dates took place in the woods or meadows or the roof of the castle or they would go riding. Sanya quite loved nature, so she quite enjoyed these excursions- though part of her missed the beach, the Library, the secret underground treehouse, their rooms, the Gardens, and all the spots she and Edmund had had dates in.

"Can I ask you something?" Sanya asked one afternoon, looking to Peter.

Peter nodded, a little surprised. She always answered questions readily enough but she didn't really ask any of her own.

"Why did none of you marry? You were 30- the others in their late twenties- but you all were still single."

Peter sighed and leaned back against the tree. He had not expected this.
"Well, Lucy was always free spirited and never wanted to settle down, and Edmund-"

"I know about Ed, he'll blame the White Witch and say he has commitment issues, I'm all too aware." Sanya interrupted and Peter was caught off guard because it was rare that anyone, even Caspian now, would cut in when he was speaking.

"And Susan and I were always protective and possessive of each other. Actually-" He started before hesitating.

"What?" Sanya asked, adorably curious.

"We used to pretend we were married." He admitted. "Su and I. It started out as just to comfort Lucy- she was barely 10 when she came here, she needed parents and some sort of familiarity in that- so we told her to pretend we were her parents. Which she did, till she hit her teens- but Susan and I continued. In front of everyone.. It helped stave off loneliness- and avoid unwanted suitors, most of who turned tail and ran because of the apparent 'incest'. Others didn't understand the vulgarity, and simply didn't wish to interfere with a married couple."

"Oh." She nodded, understanding.

"You don't think that's perverse? Disgusting? That my own sister and I-"

"You were out into a magical land where you knew nothing, and had nothing except your siblings. Of course you fell back on Su- as you said, Lucy was so small, and Edmund was too- Edmund. And it's not like you two had an actual romantic relationship. You just pretended- which started off as a way to help your little sister. Nothing disgusting at all."

Peter was pleasantly surprised at how accepting she was, and couldn't help a soft smile from blossoming onto his face. 
"Thanks."

"No problem." She said at once, looking into his navy blue eyes, before digging her earphones out of the pocket she had had sewn in her dress. "Want to listen to music?"

"Is that going to be stuck inside my head?" He asked fearfully, most apprehensive.

"Just your ear." She said blithely, and leaned ahead, carefully securing the earbud in one of his ears- and rolling her eyes at seeing the terrified expression on his face.