Chapter 23- Needs

Needs- Verzache

You would think that, since Peter and Sanya generally stuck to each other like leeches did on warm blooded humans and Susan and Caspian did their best to not mess up baby Rillian's upbringing and Lucy was off doing Aslan-knows-what-or-who most of the time, that Edmund and Lilliandil would bond and become mates.

It was not so.

This was because Edmund spent most of his days working or training (and despite spending so much time in the sun, he never tanned- something which was both pleased and displeased Sanya. Pleased because she likes his freckled pale skin and displeased because she got darker and darker the more time she spent outside- and she was already brown skinned! Not to mention, she burned awfully) and his evenings and nights were spent carousing with whichever dryad or soldier or humanoid living being had caught his fancy.

It was in the middle of his carousing that Susan found him one cold February night.
She had been out on a solitary stroll after Rillian had fallen asleep, and she hadn't wanted to see her little brother liplocked in a bush with a redhead soldier at all.
Honestly, this was the third time this week. Had he no sense of shame or decorum?
The first time, she had looked on in horror and promptly run away; the second, she had just walked away but no longer.

Susan cleared her throat loudly, and the two sprang apart and Edmund's dark eyes focused on her, while his partner stumbled out of the bush.

She looked at the man, clearly sheepish and embarrassed and she decided not to add to his agony.
"You're dismissed." She said gently, inclining her head and he nodded quickly, glanced at Edmund- who winked at him- and dashed away.
"Classy, Ed, classy. This is the third time I've caught you this week, you know."

"Third time? And you're just blowing your top now?" He asked dryly, as she pulled him up and started straightening his clothes.

Susan ignored him.
"Is this because you're lonely?" She asked softly. "Shagging every person who bats his eyes at you-"

"Or her or their, I'm not particular." Edmund shrugged. "I prefer men, but I don't honestly mind anyone."

"Well, I did think that you weren't strictly homosexual, you did date Sanya for quite a while." Then she added, quite hesitantly, "Is this because of her? It's been nearly a year and a half since you broke up with her, Ed."

"And I'm trying to move on." He said pointedly.

She raised a beautiful eyebrow at him, unimpressed. "By shagging soldiers in bushes?"

"I don't- I- I haven't shagged anyone, but I'm purely- well, pure in this body." He did not want to be talking about this with his sister- or anyone, to be honest. "Just snogging. And it helps- helps me forget- sometimes. And it is fun."

She looked at him for a moment, her eyes full of sympathy.
"Well-" She attempted levity and tried for a grin. "At least be discreet about it. There are far more secluded places than the gardens."

"What are you doing out?" He asked, choosing not to reply to her 'advice'. 'You're generally in bed by now."

"Couldn't sleep." She sighed, starting to walk again, her brother by her side. "I would've sat by Rilly a bit longer- but Lilliandil sang him to sleep and I don't want to wake him. I was thinking of a night swim-"

"Without Peter this time?"

She ignored him again, "But it's far too cold, and so I decided on a walk. I was just about to head back in when I saw you in a position no one ever wants to see their baby brother in."