"Am I Allowed To Say I Love You?"

I blushed. Hard. I knew it was coming, but I failed to be prepared. For a few moments, I found myself unable to speak. 

  Luckily for me, so had he. 

  I don't know how long we just sat there in silence before he finally cleared his throat and broke it. 

  "So...is that okay?'

  I jolted, unprepared for the question.

  "What... what do you mean?" I asked, unable to form anything longer than that as a sentence.

  He sighed, apparently disappointed in my obliviousness for the situation. (Even though I wasn't oblivious, I just had no idea how to properly accept his feelings.)

  "Dxxn it Ishimaru, this is a confession. I'm ASKING you..." He paused again, having to recollect himself. He only took a moment before going on. "Do you accept?"

  I was silent, eyes wide and heart fluttering. Why was it so hard to get the words out of my mouth? It's not like I wanted to say no, not that at all. Just for some reason, I couldn't just say yes. 

  "I-I.. M-Mondo, please understand that... well,I-"

  "So you don't?" 

  I jumped, once again involuntarily. 

  "N-no!! I-I... I mean, I... agh, WHY IS THIS SO HARD?!?!" I practically screamed, temporarily forgetting about Mondo's headache and pounding my fist against the bed railing, then quickly apologizing after he flinched.

  "'S okay... but whaddya mean?" He asked, sitting up slightly and regarding me with a gentle yet perplexed expression. 

  I breathed, trying to compose myself and get my emotions back under control to little avail. Finally, I was able to slowly force it out.

  "Mondo Ohwada... your confession is obviously unplanned for and made with haste. H-However... I cannot deny the fact that I accept regardless. Mondo... am I allowed to say I love you?" 

  Mondo smiled, taking my hand that had previously been clenched into a fist, my muscles relaxing at his touch. 

  "Won't you?"

  I smiled back, letting out a sigh I didn't know I was holding. 

  "I love you, Mondo."

  He relaxed, squeezed my hand slightly, and mumbled a quick "Thank God" before pulling me in for a kiss. This time, fully intentional. 

  We both smiled the whole time.