Chapter 35: Dark, Deadly Secrets

In Tent Eight.

"Oi, no problem, if I take the top bed, is there?" Freckles asks him, already making himself comfortable on the top bunk. "Be my guest. That should work well, I fancy the bottom one myself." Ciel tells his new roommate. 'I just don't want to climb up there...' He thought.

"There's somethin' I've been noticin' all day. Ya and yer sister talk real proper, not like most of us circus folk." Freckles pointed out.

"Uh-...Oh, do we? Well, we've have been in service for most of our lives. So perhaps that's why. Kitty used to be a cook so she had to work twice as hard to speak like that." Ciel tells him.

"Ah... Well, feel free to ask me any circus questions ya have, me being more experienced and all." Freckles says in a proudful manner. Can't blame him. If he's more experienced, why not have a little pride. "Alright." Ciel says as he takes a seat on the lower bunk.

"Oh! I know!" Freckles says as he digs through his sack. He leaned over the railing and offers Ciel some sweets from the Funtom Corporation. "I'll give ya one of these to celebrate you joining us. They're right tasty! Top of the line, Funtom sweets. There's caramel, milk, and strawberry, which one do you want? Oh, be sure to get one for yer big sis too!"

"Caramel, I suppose. Cheers...and I guess, I'll give her strawberry." Ciel says as he takes two of the sweets, ironically eating his own company's products. Freckles grinned happily as he flopped down on his bed. "Enjoy. There are hands-down my favourite sweets, you know the first time I had one, I thought 'Can something really taste this good?'. Don't worry Smile, training might be rough but it's not forever, just do your best ya know? It's a swell life, the circus. Do your job right and you won't get yelled at or beaten or anything. And ya can eat as many sweets and biscuits as your tum can hold."

In William's and Sebastian's tent.

"Now then, you will be taking the top bed." William says. He claims the bottom bunk and draws a line in the ground with his Death Scythe, to signify his property that Sebastian is prohibited from trespassing. Making it crystal clear that he is very unhappy about sharing a space with Sebastian. "Please note the line, everything on this side of it is mine. Naturally, no trespassing will be tolerated."

"That is acceptable." Sebastian cordially agrees to his demands.

"Additionally, in case you are unaware, unlike Demons, Reapers require sleep to restore ourselves. To that end, I would appreciate you keeping nighttime disturbances to a minimum." William commented.

"Demons do sleep in point effect. Though, it is purely for recreational purposes." Sebastian tells him.

In Tent Eleven.

Mei sets down her suitcase as she climbs to set up the top bunk. Already dressed to sleep for the night. She briefly wondered on who her roommate was going to be, though she also wouldn't mind having a tent of her own for the time being. Still...on the other hand, if she's going to help Ciel and Sebastian with their mission, she should try and get some information from whoever her roommate is. As she was settling into the sheets, a figure walked inside the tent. She was momentarily stunned when she saw him at first.

"Hey there, Kitty! Makin' yerself at home, I see?"

"J-...Joker..?"

"Haha, well, I don't mind taking the lower bunk. I'm fine either way." Joker laughed as he sets his bag down next to the bottom bunk bed, not noticing the confused expression on Mei's face. He just continued to smile and laugh as he makes himself comfortable and flops down on his bed. Mei leans over the railing and stares at him. "Why are you here? I thought you were a part of the first-tier troupe."