Chapter 9: Aquarium fright

Julia Walker POV

I was early. Our teacher, Mrs. Sanders had told us to be. We were going on a field trip in an aquarium. It was quite new, only a couple of years since it had been built, but already, it was a very important place in New York. Marine animals from all around the world were kept there. It was also built by a very famous architect. I forgot her name, but I know that, at only eighteen, she already had a very famous architect company. She was famous all around the world and had done the plans of very famous buildings.

Then, I saw Percy Jackson, coming towards where I stood. Perseus 'Percy' Jackson was what someone could call a loner. He always wore a black hoodie that covered his face up to his nose. Nobody had ever seen his full face. He was very tall, about 6'3. Because of his oversized clothes, I couldn't really tell if he had muscles or not. He never came to P.E.

I think it is the first time I ever saw Percy on time or early. He always came to school with a minimum of ten to twenty minutes of delay and he frequently just skipped the first hour of class. Apparently, he had ADHD and Dyslexia, which probably explains why he kept fidgeting with his pen. He had this pen in his pocket, a ballpoint pen that no one could ever touch. He didn't use it to write, yet he always had it with him.

Nobody knew anything of his family and friends, except that his stepdad, Mr. Blofis was a teacher at Goode. He was quite the enigma. When asked questions, he either ignored them or walked away. One day, one of the students had tried to search him up on the internet. Turned out he was a criminal, involved in an affair at 12. So, I was very surprised when I saw him there. He didn't even acknowledge me, he just stood there, calling someone on his phone.

"Yeah. Be ready, we'll be coming soon. Again? Have you tried separating them? Good. Have to go okay?" He answered, fidgeting as he paced back and forth.

Soon, students started to arrive, and we climbed up on the bus and sat. At eight and a half, the bus left, and at around nine, we got there. The teacher took our ticket and we got a sort of stamp on the hand to show that we were all authorized to get in. Percy was, as always, the last one to pass. When we turned around, we saw him quietly talking to the guard. Strange.

He seemed even more fidgety than usual. The teacher asked us to get in a group and made us promise that we would stay calm. Our guides walked towards us and started presenting themselves. They both wore a uniform: a deep blue shirt, black pants, and a badge with their name on it. The woman with brown frizzy hair and blue eyes told us her name was Mia and another one, shorter, with black silky hair and brown hair told us her name was Laura.

"We will start with the sea animals," one of them, Mia, told us as she walked towards a sort of corridor which was painted in light blue, with big glass aquariums. "So, these are green turtles. We have five of them in this tank."

The tour continued and all the animals looked very happy. When we passed, they swam towards us. We arrived in the shark area. We saw whale, bull, white, blue, and hammerhead sharks.

When we arrived at the last of these tanks, the tiger shark ones, we saw some blood. Two sharks were fighting each other. One of the guards ran towards us. "Mr. Jackson! Mr. Jackson!" he screamed. Percy Jackson ran towards him and they had a silent conversation. "Jack, I told you to separate them. They do not get along."

"Yes sir. We did and then we put them together again and they were fine!" the guy answered, not looking at Percy.

All the class was staring at both. "Now Jack. Listen. Ask the security to open the tank and call Ms. Chase, ask her to come."

"Surely sir, you are not thinking of going in, are you?" the guard, 'Jack' protested.

"Do what I tell you, do not worry about me," Percy ordered while taking his hoodie off. He got rid of all his clothes and stayed in swim trunks he wore underneath. We all stared wide-eyed as we look at him. Since he was always covered up in bulky fabric, we had assumed he was fat. He was not at all. He had a lot of muscles, and he was very lean. His face was handsome. His windswept black hair and stunning sea-green eyes were striking.

The teacher tried to talk to her student out of it. "Mr. Jackson, don't do it, you are under my charge. What do you think you are doing? You will not enter this tank. Have you gone mad?" Percy just ignored her.

The guard was talking in a security phone. It seemed that the security didn't want to listen.

"Give it to me," Percy ordered. He spoke to the phone. "Percy Jackson speaking. Two sharks are fighting in tank thirty-nine, open it as well as tank fourth, we're moving them."

Percy Jackson climbed a ladder and soon, we saw him in the tank. We all watched as he swam to where the two sharks were fighting. He started talking to them. He didn't come out for air, never. Slowly, the two sharks stopped fighting.

At the same time, a blond woman with calculating came in. Very tall, lean and muscled, she wore a black cigarette skirt, black heels and a white shirt. She looked at our group. All the boys were drooling over her. She turned towards where Percy was. She appeared a bit surprised, but not in a scared way. We're all the people in this aquarium crazy? Then, she smiled as if it were no big deal and it happened often.

In the tank, Percy started touching the hurt sharks and as soon as he touched them, the wounds started to close. When both sharks were healed, and he had talked to them for a few minutes. He led one the shark to the other tank and told the security to close it. He swam up for the first time and he climbed down the ladder completely dry.

As soon as he saw the young woman, he smiled brightly and ran towards her. He then noticed us and blushed. The lady stood there, amused.

"Hey" he frowned. "Annabeth! You shouldn't wear heels, you're almost as tall as me!" He pouted in a childish way. "Why do you care?" she laughed, her hair moving swiftly as she laughed, showing her perfectly aligned teeth.

"Then I can't do this" he teased as he kissed her on the lips. When they pulled apart, 'Annabeth' smiled brightly. "You could since you did it."

"Whatever, Wise Girl." he grinned.

"Oh, and Seaweed Brain, I think your fellow students would like to be enlightened." Percy turned towards us and seemed to notice us for the first time. He blushed bright red.

"Jack!" he called out. The guard walked towards him, waiting.

"Tell them about me." he ran, taking the girl with him, his arm snaking around her waist as they both disappeared in another room. "That was my boss, Percy Jackson, and his girlfriend, Annabeth Chase, the architect of the aquarium."