Chapter 14: Coming home

Annabeth was standing in front of a class of four-year-old. Her son's school had organized a day where parents came and presented their job to the small kids. She hadn't counted on coming, between her job and her two children, she was quite occupied. However, Luke had begged her, and she had accepted because she could never say 'no' to those puppy eyes he had inherited from his dad.

As his eyes. In fact, Lucas 'Luke' Jackson looked like a mini version of Percy, except for his hair that he got from his mother. As well as apparently her brains, which they were both grateful for.

"So, you build houses?" a little girl asked.

"Yes. As well as skyscrapers or gardens." She had also redesigned the plans of Olympus, but she couldn't tell them that. At the back of the class. She saw a hand raise.

"How old are you? You seem very young." Oh, God! She had hoped that question would not be asked. Hopefully, there was going to be no question on the fact they didn't see a father.

"I'm 24," she answered.

Of course, it was easy to do the math and see she had her son at 20. However, for a demigod, especially for the daughter of one of the Olympians, twenty-four was old. Luke was not a mistake, neither was Silena, who was in Sally's arms, at the back of the class.

Lucas may have looked like Percy, but Silena was a spitting image of her mother. With her big stormy grey eyes and her tanned skin. Except for her messy hair, she got from her father.

Seeing no other hand raised, Annabeth walked gracefully to the back of the class to where his mother-in-law and one-year-old daughter were. She sat next to them and scooped Silena in her arms.

Sally eyes her carefully, seeing through her mask and noticing she was upset by the question. They would talk about it later, she decided.

A few parents passed, presenting different jobs. When no parents were left, the teacher got to the front of the class.

"We have a very special guest here. He will be presenting his job."

The door opened and a man in a military uniform entered. With his jet-black windswept hair and his sparkling sea-green eyes, he could be recognized anywhere. He looked around the room and saw his wife of four years was standing, his baby daughter in her arms, both of which she had not seen in four months.

He stopped staring at them when a very excited four-year-old boy ran to him as fast as his little legs would let him, hugging both of his father's long and muscled one while screaming "Daddy!"

He leaned down, took his son in his arms. "Hey, buddy."

"Daddy," the kid said, crying in his father's shoulder. He patted the boy's back gently. "Now, Lukie, let me go see Mommy okay?" He let the child go back to his seat and walked to Annabeth, who had given their daughter to his mother. He took her in his arms.

Somehow, she managed to judo-flip him.

"Don't you ever do that again," she said, her eyes shining either from anger or happiness to see him come back.

All the other parents in the room were all looking at them, surprised and terrified by Annabeth. They all stared when Percy laughed.

"Promise, Wise Girl. I can remember a scene quite like this one, don't you?"

"Don't you dare laugh this off, Perseus Jackson! You were supposed to leave for a month, not four!" she almost screamed.

He got up and whispered to her ear: "Not now, please. We'll talk about this later. I'm back. That's what matters isn't it?"

He then turned to his mother, hugged her, and took his tiny daughter in his big, muscled arm.

"Hello, Silena. You remember me, right?" he sighed. The little girl giggled, and he smiled at her.

He gave her to his mother, presented his work, and answered to question from far too enthusiastic mothers, at least for Annabeth.

Oblivious as ever, he answered kindly, his eyes never leaving his family for more than ten seconds. A short time later, when there were no parents left to present their job, families started to leave.

"Now Percy what do you have for your defense?" Annabeth only half-joked as they were walking to the door.

"MIA. We got attacked. I was lucky. Some were not. A few of my friends are dead." Here his voice cracked, and his eyes were menacing like a sea before a storm.

"Tell me Annabeth. Why does everyone around me die and I'm left to live, knowing it could, it should have been me!" he shouted.

"Don't say that Percy." She scolded. "How can you say that! It's not your fault. It never was. You saved this whole planet two times and you saved thousands of lives at these battles." she hissed, softening as she saw his sad expression.

"I know. I'm sorry. It's just, it's a lot to bear." he sighed. "Let's just go home."