Chapter 15: The Hidden Hero

Sorry for not publishing in so long. I had a lot of work to do, with school and all. I hope you enjoy! Also, thank you for all your kind comments! I love you all! 

- The secret pen

It was eight, and as always, Perseus Jackson was late at school. Sometimes, it was just he wasn't ready, other times, he just did it on purpose.

At Camp Half-Blood, he may be a hero but here, at school, he was what people considered a 'looser'. Why? Because he had refused to sit with the 'popular' on his first day of school, and because once he had been erased from everybody's memory while he was gone for eight months, he refused to take his hood off.

He had few friends, who didn't know him that well and that had never seen his real face. Only one, a beautiful, athletic, and smart girl, Annabeth Chase. She often got asked why she stayed with the boy but either she didn't answer, either she said they didn't know him.

There were rumors that he was so ugly he kept it up to hide his horrid face. Others said he was so fat he tried to cover it up with a baggy hoodie, Always the same, a grey one. He barely talked, didn't get good grades except in biology and in Greek.

Like every break, the couple was sitting on a bench, when David, the school's most popular boy came and walked towards them.

"Hey, Annabeth! Want to go see a movie with me tonight." Without even waiting for an answer, he continued. "Of course, you do! See you after school. My parents aren't home." he suggested.

Annabeth had a look of pure disgust painted on her face. "Of course not! I have a boyfriend; he's sitting next to me! Can't you see him."

"What? That thing? You would rather go out with this ugly freak rather than me." He gestured to his body, which was quite muscled, his eyes opened in surprise. Nowhere in his head had he considered she would refuse.

"You will regret this, slut" he spat. Percy immediately got up and pushed himself against David. "Don't you dare insult Annabeth. Never. You can insult me all you want but never, never do that to her." he threatened, as the sky turned darker.

"What will you do. Call your mom." he mocked the demigod. He didn't see Percy's fist until it hit him very powerfully on his jaw.

By lunchtime, everyone in school had heard about the fight, and people began to stare at Percy even more than before. The whole sky was grey as if it was ready to rain. Percy stormed darkly into the cafeteria, Annabeth running to catch up on him. He took his lunch as sat without a word on the table where his girlfriend's friend, who had come to accept him, was.

There was an awkward silence, until Mary, one of Annabeth's friend decided bravely to engage the conversation. "So, Percy, heard about the little, umm, fight? Is it true?" She started. Percy growled and didn't answer. Annabeth sighed, still not used to 'mortal school Percy', so different to 'leader of demigod camp Percy.'

"He did." She hit Percy in the rib cage, making him stand straighter. She had tried to convince him to be more friendly for a while now and had managed to make him promise he would the night before, saying she would not kiss him or do anything affectionate with him for a whole month if he refused.

"I did." He murmured, not knowing what to say else. Annabeth smiled slightly: that was for sure the longest thing he had said except correcting people on his name. She rested her head in the crook of his neck, whispering something in his ear for only him to hear.

The sky seemed to brighten a little and he got up, helping his girlfriend do the same. She was the only person he touched or was gentle with. They left to the room and wandered around the school until they found a small corridor where they always went when they wanted some privacy. Annabeth pushed the hood off Percy's hand and placed a delicate kiss on his lips, teasing him.