Chapter 10: An accident at preschool

Marianne Black POV

"Storytime!" I smile brightly to all the four-years-old in my classroom.

I'm a kindergarten teacher. I love children. I grin as I see my favorite student, Zoë. Quite tall for her age, with black hair and grey eyes, she's the perfect student. She always listens to what I say, pays attention. She knows how to read well and loves it. She also likes to construct things.

As always, Bianca is not here. Although they are twins, Bianca and Zoë are nothing alike in their way of being. Physically, although Bianca has blond eyes and bright green eyes, they look the same. In character, they are the exact opposite. Quite sassy, Bianca listens to nobody except her sister. She loves water but hates reading.

"Bianca," I call out, trying not to show the annoyance in my voice. I walk over to the block towers and find the young girl still constructing them. "We're finished building, dear."

The impertinent girl sticks her tongue out at me and puts another block on the tower. I try my best not to get angry, knowing it will not change a thing, and that Bianca will still do as she pleases. 'Breath' I told myself. 'Stay calm.' I opened one of my eyes: she was still in the block corner.

"Come, Bianca, it's reading time," I say, trying to convince her.

"No! I hate reading! I hate books!

"Bianca, come." Zoë's voice from behind the benches. I see her, her arms crossed. She looked quite cute, looking like that.

"Zoë! Tell her I don't want to read!" Bianca says. Zoë shakes her little head, her blonde curls bouncing.

"Mommy says you have to try." Zoë tries to convince her twin sister.

"I know..." Bianca sighs. "But daddy doesn't like to read."

"But he learned how to do it," Zoë argued, her chin up.

Bianca runs past me, and I try — and fail — to stop her. She runs to the corner were the art sink is.

"Oh no," I hear Zoë say, staring at me with a warning look on her face. I try to go where Bianca stands.

"No books!" the little girl yells, stomping her foot in anger. She continues her tantrum and somehow, the sink explodes. Water pours from everywhere, spraying all the class, I included.

At that time, the principal enters. "Ms. Backer, is this your doing?" she warns me.

"No, ma'am. It's Bianca here. She has been misbehaving and broke the sink."

She nodes. "I'll call her parents. Meanwhile, try to clean the classroom up."

Zoë walks to e askes me: "Is she calling Daddy and Mommy?"

I nod. "Yay!" she screams. Not like Zoë at all. "I wonder what daddy is going to say about Bianca following his way at school."

"Sorry. What did you say? Your father did the same?"

"Yes!" she says, somehow proudly. What daughter gets to be proud of her father's misbehavior?

"Sorry I'm late!" said a very good-looking man, whom I presumed was Percy Jackson, Bianca's, and Zoë's father. He was very tall, muscled, and lean. His black hair was cut short, but they still had this I-just-took-my-shower kind of way. His most striking feature, however, was his eyes. It was like an enormous poodle of water, where green and blue were fighting for dominance, the same his daughter Bianca had inherited.

He smiled as soon as he spotted his wife, Annabeth Jackson, who had arrived on time and was currently sitting in a chair in front of my desk.

As friendly as Percy was, Annabeth looked serious, which made them the opposite. A little like their twins, who had nothing alike. She was also tall and very fit. Her skin was tanned in a natural way, her blond hair curled naturally, but her eyes were strange. They were gray. Not the blueish or greenish way, just plain grey. She seemed to inspect everything.

Bianca and Zoë, which was not what she did usually, being the very calm student, ran toward the men and shouted "Daddy!" He smiled ever brighter if that was even possible, and he picked them up easily. After letting them down, he sat on the empty seat next to his wife and took her hand.

"M. and Mrs. Jackson, we asked you to come because your daughter misbehaved. Bianca refused to come to read a book, she threw a tantrum and somehow ended breaking the sink!"

Percy coughed trying to suppress a laugh and Annabeth bit her lip, her eyes showing her amusement. She looked at her husband while lifting one of her eyebrows up. He looked at her with a mischievous look, as if they were sharing something simply by looking at each other.

Annabeth, the calm on of the two, started talking. "We are sorry, my husband and I will make sure it will not happen again."

Zoë looked at her mom with a scared look. "Mommy, I still allowed to eat cookies, right?"

"Not for another week Zoë, you were naughty again and we will also have a long talk about your temper," she warned, with a strict but still caring voice.

"From whom did she inherit that particular trait? Tell me, Wise Girl." Percy joked. His wife sent her a dark look, which would have scared everyone out, but he just laughed harder. Maybe he was used to it by now? He seemed to have gotten in a lot of trouble when he was a teen.

"Is that all?" she asked. All? Her daughter just broke a sink and flooded her whole Classroom, wasn't that enough.

"Yes," I answered. We all stood up, bid each other goodbye and I accompanied them to the door. Before the door closed, I thought I heard Annabeth say. "See Perce, she did get your Poseidon power!"