Chapter 11: Evermore

The young girl was walking on the beach, her eyes lost in the blue of the sea. Her blond hair was flying in the wind. She was very tall and too thin. She sat down, curled in a ball. She was wearing an oversized hoodie.

Her eyes, once so bright and happy, were sad, broken. Her cheeks were covered in dried tears.

They had tried to talk to her. Everything. They had tried everything, just to have a reaction from the girl who once was their leader. The strong girl who was now only a shadow of herself.

They had told her he wouldn't have wanted that. But he was gone. She didn't care anymore. She got up early every day, just to stare at the ocean, which reminded her so much of him.

Sometimes, it was too painful, she couldn't look at it. It was so much like his eyes. His beautiful sea-green eyes, who were closed forever.

It had been a year, but she hadn't moved on. She never would, for how could you live without your true love, the one boy that shared almost all your memories. All her best memories? She just waited patiently for Death to claim her. But it didn't. As always, she was to suffer. Until the very end.

Sometimes, she wanted to end her day, but there was always something to stop her. Destiny wanted her to live, lonely all her life.

Her friends were there for her, she didn't notice them. They waited; she never came.

By herself on the beach, she sometimes dreamed of him. From time to time, she saw him or thought she did. It was never true. Her mind was playing her tricks. She sometimes thought that the wind that blew near her ears was her lost one's voice. She found it soothing.

She counted the months, the days, even the hours since his untimely death. It had been too long. She had waited too long. She fell asleep and never woke up.

A few hours later, one of the campers found the lifeless corpse of one of the Heroes of Olympus, the daughter of Athena. She was gone a year after her soul mate.

Even after her body had faded away and that she was no more, her story was told and became a legend. She was never forgotten and at the camp that was her home, where she had grown up, a prayer was addressed to her. Small kids were taught her example and dreamed of being like her when they grew up.

Her death moved everyone. Couples learned to appreciate every moment you have with your beloved one because the time when they disappear always comes too soon. Even the director of the camp, the centaur who had become a father to the little girl that came there at seven was changed. He had lived through hundreds of centuries, he had seen dozens of the greatest hero of all time die, but he had never lost the one who had become his daughter, no by Birth, just by love.

The couple became an ideal of every lover. They wished to share a love as strong as theirs was and still is. Because, even dead, the two demigods loved each other, high in the sky, in Elysium, where they would rest forevermore, in the place where only the true hero got to stay.