Chapter 18: Of royalty and love (Part I)

"That will be enough for today. Thank you, Chiron." Young King Perseus told his sword instructor, the centaur.

The sweating king, drying himself up with a piece of cloth, started to jog through the corridor of the palace, which he knew by heart since the time he was three. He opened the main door, not waiting for the guard posted next to it to do so. He arrived in a magnificent garden, which generation after generation, kings of Atlantis had developed, bringing different plants from their various conquest.

He was always one to take some fresh air. So, as most every morning, when he didn't have to attend one of those long and boring lectures where his only consolation was his lovely wife, sitting next to him. Queen Annabeth had come from Athens several prior and she and the heir prince had been married for two years now, since his eighteenth birthday.

Thinking of her made him remember how he had left her the morning, still asleep in their large olive wood bed. The whole part of the palace had been designed by his wife, as she loved architecture so. Thinking of her had made him want to see her again and so, after having taken a short walk around the park, and at what seemed to be eight o'clock, judging by the sun in the sky, he ran to the palace, climbing the stairs two by two.

When he arrived, he found that the whole room was dark and that the blades had been closed. Like every time he entered the room and saw his wife was still asleep, he contemplated how lucky he was. He walked quietly to the bed and did what he loved to do: wake his wife up.

He kneeled on the floor and kissed her. She woke up with a jump and still when she realized it was her husband.

"Hello," she said, her voice still raspy from sleep. Percy found himself wondering how one could be so attractive having just woken up. Annabeth was a real Greek beauty: she was tall, quite thin with forms just at the right places, that her white nightgown highlighted perfectly, a straight nose, high cheekbones, tanned skin, and beautiful luxurious golden hair and stunning grey eyes.

Few people saw Annabeth as Percy did. She was absolutely loved by the people but, she had a certain aura of power and people knew better than to mess up with her. She had pride, like all members of the Athenian royal bloodline.

Percy, however, was the total opposite. Tall, lean and muscled, with hair that could not be tamed and a very special type of color, that only the royal family of Atlantis possessed: eyes of the same color as the sea, a pool where green and blue seemed to fight for power but could never settle on one of the two colors. He was of course respected by the people but was considered as a friendly monarch. Everyone knew he was more loyal than anything to his people, country, and to those he loved.

"Morning Love." the King answered as he got up slowly and picked his wife up. She squealed in surprise, a sound which nobody but a handful of people had ever heard from such a person. One could say she had changed since she was with Percy.

At the start of their marriage, the ever-lasting rivalry between the two Greek people they came from had drifted them apart. Slowly, they came to care for one another to a point where they could not dream of not being together and a separation for more than a few days was absolute torture. There bickering and fighting, which was inevitable with both their fiery temper, were known by the whole staff of the palace but it had become a habit and they all knew they love each other deeply.

For Percy, being married to a rational woman had calmed him down a little, and he had matured and had made Annabeth, less severe, more joyful.

"Something planned for today?" Annabeth asked her husband, eyes half-closed.

"We have a meeting at ten." Percy sighed. How he hated those! Annabeth, however, loved them and got up instantly. She shook the bell on a tray next to the bell, signal for her servant to come.

"What time is it?" She asked while putting a robe on and untying her hair.

"Around eight." Her husband answered while taking his dirty shirt off. Soon, the servant opened the door, looking anywhere but toward the King's only half-covered body.

"Ma'am?" She asked.

"Yes, Thelma. Now would you draw me a bath? Also please prepare my grey dress with the golden belt and the usual necklace and crown. Thank you. Oh! Please call Olivier. You may go."

The servant left, bowing as she did so. "Still afraid of you?" Percy joked. "Clearly doesn't know you're a big softy."

"Am not." She answered, outraged.

"Whatever makes you sleep a night dear." He replied cheekily.

"You know perfectly well I cannot sleep at night because of your awful snoring." She defended herself.

"I do not snore!" He exclaimed; mock shock painted in his face. "Now. I have to punish you for lying horribly about the King." He said, a look of mischief in his eye she knew too well.

"Oh, you won't." She tried to convince herself.

"You know I will," he returned, jumping at and tickling her without mercy.

"Percy... stop! I can't breathe! Please!" She giggled.

"Say I don't snore." he sassed.

"Fine. You don't! Happy now?" She squeaked. He nodded but kept her in his arm, as he started to brush her face with his lips, before kissing her full on the lips.

At that moment, they heard a soft knock on the door and tried to make themselves presentable. Percy's usually messy hair were now a bird's nest and Annabeth's flushed cheeks were suspicious enough.

"Come in," she called, keeping her voice as steady as possible.

The servant from earlier entered followed by Olivier, Percy's personal valet. Both their bath was drawn and they got ready separately.

Just before they were about to get down, Percy joined his wife in her dressing room, carrying a small box.

"Annabeth?" He called.

"Yes, dear," he heard from the other side of the door. "Come in!"

He opened the door carefully. "Close your eyes." He asked in her ear, making her shiver. "You can open them." She looked down and saw the most magnificent necklace, which represented a carved snake that swirled around her arm.

"Percy... it's beautiful! Thank you." she kissed him gratefully.

"We have to go. We're going to be late." he sighed, presenting his arm so as for his wife to take it. They climbed the stairs down and entered the conference room, where magistrates were waiting for them. They all saluted the royal couple, waiting for Percy's signal to sit down. The king nodded and waited for them to settle down.

They talked about the kingdom's economy, which was doing wonderful and the people for several hours. Percy was sitting in a big marble throne, his elbow resting on one of the armchairs, his bead in his hand.

They were about to stop the meeting when one of the most ancient magistrates, an old philosopher sat up painfully. "Your Majesties. There is a matter that has been brought to our attention by the people, but it is rather... delicate."

"Speak up Manolios. We are listening." He reassured the old man, whom he respected and whom had been one of his preceptors.

"Your Highnesses were married two year ago." Percy sat up straighter and nodded, he didn't have a good feeling about this. "The people demand an heir. You are still young, but accident happen." He was referring of course to the shipwreck that had killed both his parents. He closed his eyes, not wanting to go down this road. He opened them and the flickered to his right were Annabeth was sitting much too quietly. Their eyes met shortly but she quickly lowered her gaze, guiltily.

"I see." He didn't know how to continue.

Next to him, Annabeth stood up and exited the room quietly excusing herself. Soon after, dismissing the assembly with a motion of the hand before he hurriedly walked after his wife, knowing she would probably be in their room.