Chapiter 24: By Thanksgiving

James Whitey POV

Percy was staring at her again, Joseph noticed. "Hey, dude. She's married, you know?" I asked my boss. If it was any other man I would never have dared to talk to him that way, but he and Annabeth were old friends and I had been working with him for a little while, although we were not as close as in high school.

Percy was CEO of Poseidon Company, which worked to anything that had a link with sea animals. He was a marine biologist, very rich, and very handsome.

"Who? Annabeth?" He asked, looking disbelieving. He didn't know?

Annabeth was also CEO, but of an Architecture Company, named Athena Enterprise. She was tall, thin and tanned, with beautiful blond hair and striking grey eyes. Both companies were working together as Athena Enterprise was doing the plan of an aquarium.

"Yeah. Heard of it. Couple of months ago actually," Percy was still staring at her. "Percy! She just got married. You don't have a chance."

He laughed it off. "Want to bet? By thanksgiving, we are together." I chuckled. "Is this some kind of joke?" I asked, sure it was.

"Not at all. If you win, you get my car. If I win... you give me that signed autograph, from Michael Phelps." I accepted, knowing he would never win. Annabeth had not even looked t him before and they were always bickering.

"Perseus." Annabeth scolded, using his full name. "Going to work any time soon?" The bet was not in favor of Percy. Annabeth was always admonishing him about something.

He looked at her dreamy-eyed. She had already returned to work. Looking at different blueprints and changing some things on the plans.

"Actually," Percy stood up. "I brought some cookies. I thought I could share, want some?" He asked me. I nodded frantically, having already tried them a couple of time,s and let me tell you, they are the best. Annabeth huffed and turned her head away.

"Pretty please?" he begged, putting on his best baby seal eyes that always worked on everyone.

"Nope. Not going to work." she crossed her arms on her chest, sighed, and took one anyway.

"Blue?" Annabeth laughed at Percy. "How old are you? Two?"

He pouted adorably. Annabeth softened. "Not trying to poison me, are you?" She joked, examining the cookie.

"Never," he breathed, his voice low and seductive. Annabeth blushed and sat down to her desk again, Percy watching her all the way. Talk about discreet. Did that boy want to lose so much?

There was a girl in the office, Julie was her name, on whom I had had a crush for the longest time, but never having the guts to ask her out. After two months of turning around one another, I took all my courage and asked her on a date a Tuesday night. 

So, we agreed I would wait for her at work and that we would go to eat somewhere out after. Here I was, Tuesday feeling quite nervous. She left the office, stunning as always and we walked to the restaurant just next to the building. I had booked a table, as it was often full.

We were finished eating and all was going so well, so we decided to take a walk. We passed the company's building without really noticing and we were both leaning at the same time to kiss where I heard a voice, I knew all too well.

I had told Julie during our date about our bet. When she recognized the voice too, we hid in a corner and we saw Annabeth and Percy getting out, closing the door. Annabeth had the keys and was locking the door when Percy trapped her against the door, leaning in the kiss her neck.

She stiffened. "Percy. I'm not sure this is appropriate." She breathed as she got free of his grasp. "Come on Annabeth. I know you want this too." He whispered.

Annabeth looked at him, her eyes full of her desire for him. Maybe the bet was to his advantage. I didn't want to lose the autograph. I felt reassured when Annabeth moved away.

"Percy. It's not proper. Please. Let me go." She walked away, Percy letting her leave, sighing before running after her again.

The project was over, and Annabeth and Percy were still not a thing. The plans of the aquarium were done and suited both companies perfectly. Today was the day before thanksgiving and as a goodbye, Annabeth had organized a meal at her house.

"So," Julie asked when we had arrived and were sitting down on the couch, both holding hands. "Are we finally meeting that husband of years." Annabeth's eyes twinkled in excitement.

"Actually, you have already." She laughed, getting up and walking towards the kitchen's door. "He's cooking, let me get him."

A few seconds later, she left the room and turned, making a sign to her husband to come out. We waited a few seconds and then a tall, black-haired man appeared and put his arm around Annabeth's waist.

"Of course, you have all met my wife." he grinned, "Annabeth Jackson."