020

chapter song; when will i see you again by shakka (atmrac remix)

        A soft, warm wind blew against my skin. I sat on the back porch, leaning back and using my arms to hold me up.

        As I sat there, total silence as usual, I tried to steer myself away from thoughts that would come in and never rest until I closed my eyes. Even then, I had trouble getting rid of the unwanted company of my memories.

        I glanced behind me, through the glass being able to see Harry setting up his computer. He frowned and carelessly tossed around papers.

        I wished for once he'd show some other emotion. He was so distant and independent. Never once has he shown he needs me, which he clearly doesn't, but I've shown it many times that without him I'd be easily dead.

        The sky was bright, and as I glared up at it, I felt a strand of my hair blow into my face. I reached to move it away from my cheek, and in that instant something slick and warm began to move around my bare feet.

        Out of impulse, I snapped my head down and let my leg go numb the second I saw what was slithering up my leg.

        "Oh my God!" I shrieked, watching the pale brown snake with dark spots on it pause from my sudden reaction.

        From the many things I know about snakes, I know that the ones existing in Brazil are various dangerous ones. I've never came in contact with any before, but this one was pretty long and its thickness was great enough to terrify just about anyone.

        Never agitate a snake, I read once. They can hear you by their skin and muscles that carry out sound waves. I whimpered as it began to slither further up my leg, menacingly threatening me by its movements. 

        I hesitated to scream again. It was much closer up my leg now, and I knew that if I was bit, the results could be quite fatal. 

        Frantically, I glanced behind me to see Harry plugging some wires into the wall. His side was facing me, which was good enough to get his attention. I bit my bottom lip, wincing as the creature reached my thigh.

        Its beady, golden eyes absentmindedly stalked its surroundings as I frantically thought of ways to get it off me without agitating it. I could be quick, but it would have a much greater chance of biting me through my jeans.

        I parted my lips as a shaky exhale shook my body. I eyed the thing as it kept slithering around my legs, which I tried with all my might to keep still. There wasn't anything near me that I could use as a tong to remove it from my legs, nothing that could constrict it.

        The small whimper of Harry's name barely made its way through my lips. He was my last resort, or I'd have to wait for minutes until it'd slither off me. I turned my head once more, looking at the door and the distance it was from me. It was when I noticed that the door was cracked open, and if I was just loud enough I'd be able to get Harry's attention.

        Harry was turned with his back to me now, going through some bag of equipment. At times like these, I'd wish he was eyeing me down or following my every move. Guess I under appreciate his job sometimes.

        "Harry," I called slowly, wincing as the snake bolted in a quick movement across my left hip. It was getting closer and closer. Whether I start to cry or start to lose my mind over terror, I don't know which will occur first. But I got an answer once the slick skin of the animal was grazed against the skin of my hip. I felt the tears prickle my eyes.