023

My hands folded together on my lap as I sat in the passenger seat. Harry wrapped his fingers around the steering wheel. It's been a while since I've seen this position. He -- like before -- had his left hand on the steering wheel, and the other rested on the gear stick. The bones of his jaw clenched tightly. His pale green eyes stared ahead in the road. 

        I looked out the window. The sights were beautiful. Everything about Florianopolis is so perfect. I inhaled deeply and turned to Harry to say, "This is so beautiful." 

        Harry nodded his head slowly. "I suppose." He never bothered to take his eyes away from the road. 

        A little scoff escaped my lips, the corners curving into a smile. "This is the part where you say like you." 

        He began to turn the wheel, rolling his eyes and shaking his head this time. "Be quiet."

        We arrived somewhere down the street, and he parked the car behind a small store. I got out of the car just as he did. As expected, I followed him down the sidewalk with my eyes wandering the streets. I tried not to lag behind as much as I've done in the past. 

        Everyone that Harry and I walked by would peek a glance, or blatantly stare. I uncomfortable shifted my shoulders and hurried on the pace. Harry walked the sidewalks like it was nothing, a glare on his face. Whether it was from the burning sunlight or his anger, I'd never know. Maybe both. 

        A couple of men sat between two stores on turned over buckets or on the concrete. They were sitting down and chatting loudly, playing a game of cards. The group was about five men all shouting and throwing around money. A cigarette was in a man's mouth with dark black hair and dark skin, his eyes glancing up at me.

        I was walking behind Harry when the man stopped the game of cards and smiled wickedly to himself. A breath hitched in my throat and I tried to walk past them with Harry right in front of me when the man stood and grabbed me. 

        At his touch, I squealed and heard him speak. His voice was gruff, but since I didn't speak Portuguese I had no idea what he was saying.  

        "Ey , menina bonita , vamos ter um pouco de diversão , não é?" He cackled harshly, my eyes widening with a closer examination of his face. A scar ran down from his left eyebrow to his mouth, his left eye now lazy and droopy because of it. 

        I twisted my hand in his grip, wincing before I heard Harry's voice. 

        "Deixar de ir la agora , ou eu atirar em você certo entre os olhos."

        I gasped in both shock and terror. Harry's voice must've been a joke to the man because he snickered, and his buddies laughed behind him in amusement. But then, the men took a closer look at Harry and all the amusement ceased on his facial features.

        The man's dark eyes widened in absolute horror. "A tatuagem de cobra! Você tem a tatuagem de cobra! Aqui , tem a garota , você homem horrível!"

        Harry clenched his jaw and grabbed my wrist in his own hand. He pulled me away with him down further the street. My lips parted and I panted with astonishment. 

        "What did he say that made him so scared?" I asked him hurriedly, grabbing his own wrist and trying to tug off his hold on me. "What did you say to him?"

        He continued walking, anger visible on his face. "He knows who I work for, is all." 

        "How?" 

        He groaned and entered a shop, inevitably pulling me inside as well. "Stop asking so many questions, Catalina. You know I detest that."