"I am what I am."

"I surely believed that you were now above this." Lucy sighed, watching as her cousin dropped the second body to the floor, smirking as she wiped the trickle of blood from her chin.

"That was quite delusional of you," Lauren chuckled lightly, arching a brow before grabbing the body she'd just discarded to the ground and offering it to Lucy. "Her heart still beats, I'm sure there's still a mouthful left for you."

And Lucy wanted to her, her eyes glowed red with a craving she fought with all her might. She shook her head, taking a step back, willing the scent not to overpower her self-control. Lauren scoffed, dropping the body back down before leaning on the tree behind her.

"I see Vero has worked her magic on you once more." The vampire spoke with distaste dripping from her words.

"I cannot have her and kill," Lucy spoke through gritted teeth. "I will not be the monster I know she believes me to be."

"She loves you nonetheless," Lauren shrugged, her green-eyes dancing over her victims for only a moment before ushering Lucy to walk along with her once more. "I see no fault in that."

"No," The older girl chuckled softly, though the sound containing no emotion. "I believe you would not." She looked back to the dead joggers behind them and sighed, knowing the blame would fall on some animal. It would stir trouble for the wolves and Lucy knew that would agitate the small semblance of peace they'd found. "Camila does not care that you still take lives?"

"I do not owe Camila an explanation to my actions," The green-eyed girl chuckled lightly. "I stake no claim over her in the very same way she stakes no claim over me. She knows me for what I am, I will not cease to be a creature stemmed from the devil himself anymore than she will cease to be a creature brought upon by the heavens."

"And that's what you believe her to be? A godly creature?"

"She radiates light, what else would you believe her to be?" Lauren shrugged, glancing at her cousin briefly.

"Perhaps that is why you're drawn to her," Lucy thought aloud. "Perhaps you miss the embrace of the sun."

"You have always been a sentimental fool, cousin," Lauren rolled her eyes, tucking her hands in her pockets and tipping her head back to smile up at the night sky. "The moon holds a claim over me, not the sun."

"But you do not deny that you are drawn to her."

"That I do not," Lauren confessed, her eyes meeting her cousin's with a hint of malice hidden behind them. "And in truth, I cannot know why, I simply am."

"You loathe the very idea that she could be your redemption."

"I see no reason to be redeemed," The green-eyed girl sighed. "We are what we are, I will embrace every aspect of it while you cower away from your very nature. I do not wish for redemption for I do not believe there is such a thing for a kind such as ourselves. Face it, cousin, our end will simply open the door to hell and there is simply nothing we can do about it."

"I cannot believe that."

"So you believe that after every cruel deed I have done, I can still find redemption?"

"Indeed."

Lauren scoffed, a smirk settled upon her reddened lips and her eyes shining with foul intent. "So if I were to clasp my hand around Vero's heart this very moment and I were to pull it from where it resides, you believe I could still be saved?"

Lauren had no time to catch Lucy's actions before the older vampire slung her cousin against the nearest tree, exposing her fangs and hissing at the green-eyed girl with a blazing anger Lauren had not seen in a very long time.