Aftermath 1/4

Chapter summary:

"What will happen to me?"

"I spoke to Pepper. She's your legal guardian now. You'll be fine."

"How could I be fine without you?"

Or, May died as a result of the disease and Pepper, Tony and Peter are trying to cope with her death.

<><><><><><>

TONY

"Is it all?" Tony asked tiredly as they discussed the last item at the meeting. The board of directors gave each other a few nervous glances before one of them took the courage to answer.

"Well, yes, but we were wondering when Mrs. Potts-Stark would return to work," he asked, and Tony sighed. He sincerely excepted this question because it was unusual for Pepper to have such a long time off. And while he tried to do her job as best he could, he wasn't as perfect as his beloved wife.

"I know it's unusual for Pepper to have such a long time off, but we have death in the family and we're trying to deal with it, so I'd ask you all for patience," he replied. The others gave him understanding looks and the meeting was closed.

Tony took an elevator to the penthouse and was very surprised to find Pepper and Peter cuddling on the couch in deep sleep. None of them had slept much in the last days, so it was a very nice sight for him, even though it was only three in the afternoon. It was a week since May had left, and three days after her funeral. Pepper and Peter refused to leave the penthouse, and Tony tried to do the job for his wife so that she didn't have to worry about it. He was also at the principal to explain the current situation to him and talked about Peter's absence. Fortunately, he was quite understanding and said that Peter could go back to school when he was ready and that he would send him the learning material so he could learn at home.

He took the blanket that was on the back of the couch and slipped it over Pepper and Peter. He kissed both of them on the forehead and quietly returned to the elevator. He tried to be strong for them that he had no time for his own sadness in that week. But he needed that time to mourn too.

So he found himself standing in front of the tombstone of May. He was never a person who would have shown too much emotion so he stood there for a long moment thinking what to say.

"I do not know what to say!" Toy panicked while a small smile lay on May's face.

"Take it easy, Tony. You have two more days."

"That's not enough time!"

"You are unnecessarily stressed. You are looking for complexity, but this is not quaternary physics, Tony. Just talk from your heart. I'm sure you will know what to say when you stand there with Pep by your side."

"You think?"

"I know that, and besides, you're Tony Stark, you always know what to say," she smirked.

"Oh, May, I can only tell you how glad I am that Pepper insisted on New Year's Eve wedding because you were there with us. You talked me out of all my stress, as always. When I panicked with the wedding vow, you told me to speak from the heart. I'll tell you, really good advice. So I'm going to try to keep that advice now," he said and paused for a moment. It was harder than he thought.

"You've got the best secret Santa! Merry Christmas, May," Tony said, kissing her cheek.

"I'm a little afraid of what it will be," she laughed as she took the gift from him.

"Don't underestimate me, May. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised."

"Is this a photo album?" she asked, surprised as she tore the wrapping paper.

"Yes, it is. I let you print my private collection of the most adorable photos we've taken since Peter began his lab day. If you tell someone I said 'adorable', I will de-" he said, but was interrupted by a sudden hug.

"Thank you very much, Tony. This means a lot, really."

"You're welcome," he said, holding her in an embrace.

"The problem is I don't know what to say. I'm trying to be here for them. But it is hard. It's so hard, May, because I miss you just like Pepper and Peter. Yeah, I love you, May Parker, but don't tell anyone I said that. It's only been a week since you left us here, but it seems to me like all eternity. I feel like I haven't talked to you for years. It is not right. You left a hole behind you."

"Do I see tears?" May teased him, but there were tears in her eyes as well.

"No, I have an allergic reaction," he murmured.

"Do you now?"

"Are you sure we can't do anything?"

"I'm sure."

"May... I-" he began, but his voice broke.

"It'll be all right, Tony. I want to thank you for everything you did for us. There was a lot, but I am most grateful for you giving Peter a family. And that you'll be here for him when I don't. I have to say that I will miss your humor," she said with a sad smile.

"I miss you a lot. I almost forgot I brought you lilies. Your favorite," he said, putting a bouquet of white flowers on the ground. "I don't know what will happen now. You said we'd be okay. I know that in a way we will, even though the pain of your loss will be here forever. I'll make sure that our teen genius grows into the man you wanted him to become. I guess I'll go now, but I promise I'll be back soon. Be well."

"You know, I think it's time to forgive you for preferring Pep instead of me."

"Oh, deal with it, the girls are holding each other," she smirked.

"Well, the guys should stick together, but Peter also seems to prefer Pepper."

"Someone is simply better than Tony Stark, it must be a big blow to your ego," she laughed, and a smile appeared on his face too. He liked to see that she was laughing. Especially now that her condition has worsened.

"I think you're much better. Better than any of us," he said honestly.

"You're not the worst, either," she said and grabbed his hand.