Chapter 6

Office Visit

-

VINCENT'S POINT OF VIEW

I was looking over a few construction drawings for an upcoming project when I heard my phone ring from across the table. Without even looking at who was calling, I answered the phone. "Hello?"

I heard Cheyenne's voice on the other end of the call and instantly stopped what I was doing. A smile crept onto my face as her voice rang in my ears.

"What are you doing right now?" She asked.

"I'm at work right now baby girl" I responded. I moved from leaning over the table to sit down in the chair at my desk.

"Are you busy?"

I leaned back in my chair to get more comfortable. "Not really. I'm technically at lunch right now but I'm finishing up some last-minute stuff for this project I'm working on." I told her.

"Are your coworkers at lunch too?" She asked. I furrowed my eyebrows at the number of questions she was asking but went along with it. "Yeah, they all left about five minutes ago though. It's just me at the office right now." I said.

I heard her mumble "perfect" under her breath but I pretended that I didn't. It felt like she was planning something so I didn't want to let on that I suspected anything.

"Have you eaten anything yet?"

"No, I don't think I'm gonna eat lunch today. I have a lot that I want to get done today. I'll just eat something later for dinner."

She smacked her lips at me. "You can't do that. You have to eat. I'll bring you some Chinese take out or something."

I chuckled at her persistence but agreed. "Alright, that sounds good." "Chicken lo mein, teriyaki beef, and Pepsi?" She asked for confirmation. "Yeah, and one of those veggie spring rolls," I answered.

"Will that complete your order?" She joked. I smiled into the phone. "Yes, ma'am."

"I'll go get the food and I'll see you in a little bit. Bye Daddy" she giggled. I chuckled lowly. She liked to call me that. It was a bit of an inside joke between us but there were moments where I earned that title. "Bye baby girl."

I hung up the phone and leaned back into my chair with a smug smirk on my face.

About 20 minutes went by before I received a message from Cheyenne saying she was outside my office. I headed from the top floor of the building and went to the lobby area to let her inside.

She greeted me with a simple kiss.

I lead her to my work station upstairs so we could enjoy our lunch privately. There were a few people in the building but they were the janitors and custodians. They weren't concerned with us.

Cheyenne set the bag of Chinese take out onto an empty chair on the opposite side of the room where my desk was. There was no available space on the table.

I went to sit back down in my chair and watched her with my tongue poked out from between my lips as she unpacked everything from the red and white plastic bag.