Chapter 23

A Woman Scorned

-

CHEYENNE'S POINT OF VIEW

It had been a week since I sent Dr. Milano that email telling her about Vincent's affair. She responded, much to my surprise. She told me that she wanted to talk about this and find out more so she invited me over to her house this afternoon.

As I was getting dressed for today, I kept thinking about how much of a shock it was to hear from her. I didn't expect a response but I was hopeful that she would listen because knowing this information about her husband could help her.

I was honestly nervous about going to meet her. I knew her as my doctor and she knew me as one of her many patients, but that would all change today. 

I didn't know what was going to happen. 

There was a chance that things could go very badly. I was worried that it would most likely end up that way.

Going to a woman and admitting that you were the one her husband was cheating on her with wasn't exactly a smart idea but I couldn't go on with the guilt hanging over me.

I wanted to go to Rachel as a woman and hopefully provide her and myself with a bit of clarity. Still, my lingering anxiety stressed me about the outcome of today. All I could do was hope she'd understand where I was coming from.

With my stomach full of knots and my hands covered in pins and needles, I grabbed my things and headed downstairs so I could leave my house and head to Dr. Milano's.

I made it to the gates of the luxury neighborhood I was used to seeing when I would visit Vincent. I cleared my throat as the memories threatened to make tears build up in my eyes.

I tried to prepare myself for whatever reaction Dr. Milano would have as I arrived at the house and pulled into the driveway. 

I timidly walked to the front door. I pressed my finger on the doorbell and waited for the door to open. Quicker than I was comfortable with, the door unlocked and revealed Dr. Milano.

Her face was frozen with no particular emotion. Her hair was styled almost perfectly with not a single hair out of place. She was wearing makeup to increase the appearance of her natural beauty. She wore an elegant, black blouse that framed her petite shape and black slacks that emphasized the length of her long legs. She had a pair of nude high heels on. In her right hand was a glass that I was used to seeing Vincent hold whenever he'd drink whiskey. The glass was practically empty with just the remnants of whatever was in it lingering at the bottom of the glass.

She looked vastly different from what I expected to see. The news of a woman's husband cheating on her would typically cause her to wear baggy clothes and no makeup to reflect how bad she felt, but Dr. Milano was dressed up as if she wasn't affected.

She looked me over with hollow eyes before downing the last bit of the drink she had in her glass.

"Cheyenne," She said. Her voice was sharp and laced with an emotion I couldn't place. 

I opened my mouth to say something but she didn't allow me to.

"So you're the little tramp that's been sleeping with my husband?" she spat out at me. Her nose scrunched in disgust as she eyed me over one more time.