Chapter 17

Til Death Do Us Part

-

CHEYENNE'S POINT OF VIEW

It's been three days since my doctor's appointment. That day will forever be burned in my memory for a reason I never once fathomed.

I can honestly admit that it never once crossed my mind that Vincent could be married. 

I do remember thinking at the beginning of our relationship that it was a little odd that he was in his forties and hadn't settled down yet, but a lot of people were his age and still just hadn't found the right person. That's all I chalked it up to be with Vincent, but I was wrong.

When I realized that Dr. Milano was Vincent's wife, I felt humiliated. I remember when I walked out of the doctor's office that I felt as if the scarlet letter branded my chest for everyone to see. 

It was the same situation I had gone through with James; the guy I was interested in was with another girl the whole time and I was just the sideshow attraction that occupied his free time for him. The main difference is that I was actually dating Vincent. True, it hurt me when I went through the pain of what James had done but I wasn't fully invested so I was able to move past that with little damage to my heart but with Vincent, it was excruciating because there were genuine feelings involved.

I cared about Vincent more than anything. He was one of the most important people in my life. I loved him. I was grateful that I hadn't told him though because I would've felt like an even bigger fool if I had, given the circumstances. 

I could understand that Vincent was married and that he lied to me the entire time we had been together, but I couldn't begin to wrap my head around the reason why. Why did he lie? What made him do this to me? Not to mention, his wife.

Dr. Milano was merely my OB/GYN physician, but she seemed like a sweet woman. 

She was friendly and kind, and I could attest that to her just doing her job and having to maintain professionalism, but I couldn't picture her having a darker side. She was gorgeous as well. I didn't feel like I was any prettier or better than her in any way.

I couldn't understand why Vincent would cheat on her. Now it was obvious that there were pieces to this puzzle that I had yet to uncover but I planned to change that.

After my doctor's appointment, I messaged Vincent saying that I wanted to see him. I was using his ignorance of my new found discovery of his marriage to my advantage. From his perspective, everything between us was great, just as it had been since the beginning but he was in for a rude awakening.

I'm not a mean or malicious person. I didn't plan on seeing him just torture him about this but I was going to get answers. I deserved them. After everything he kept from me when I remained completely transparent with him, the least he could do was be honest for once in our relationship.

Vincent told me that I could come over to his house since it was his day off. It was about noon when I got dressed and drove over to his house.

It disgusted me to know that the house I had gone to so many times was inhabited by his wife of who knows how many years. The bed that I lost my virginity in was the one he shared with her. The shower we had sex in was the one his wife used to clean off after a hard day's work. The dining room table we ate at was the one she enjoyed her meals at. The house I had spent so many days in was the one he bought with his wife.