Chapter 28

Daddy Issues

-

VINCENT'S POINT OF VIEW

Once Cheyenne walked upstairs, I was left alone in the living room for a while. It was a little more than half an hour of complete silence that surrounded me. The only sound that could be heard was the crackling of wood in the fireplace and the muted sound of talking upstairs.

I was pretty certain that Cheyenne was upstairs talking to her parents. About what? I could only guess, but if she was telling them about me (like I worried), it probably wasn't good.

I stayed sitting down with my head hung down in worry. I was stressed about what was going to happen with me and Cheyenne. If her parents got involved then there was no telling what could happen between us.

Time passed very slowly before I heard the sound of a door opening and closing from upstairs.

Determined footsteps pounded against the wooden stairs making me turn to the left to see who was coming down the staircase.

When I was met with the view of a grown man with a disgruntled look on his face, I knew instantly who it was. It was Cheyenne's dad.

I couldn't place a reason why he was coming down here, but judging by the way he was walking into the living room with purpose, he most likely had something he really wanted to say to me.

I watched as Cheyenne's dad gave me a dirty look before he sat down in one of the chairs across from the couch I was sitting on. He didn't look pleased to see me, not that it was a shock to me.

I wasn't sure what he knew about my relationship with Cheyenne but I can imagine there wasn't much positive information that she could've given him. She most likely told him everything I just admitted to her. If her dad didn't like me before, then he really didn't like me now.

Our relationship itself wasn't bad; it was just everything that followed and preceded it that caused problems between the two of us. 

When Cheyenne and I were together, everything was bliss. A lot of our time was spent with drunk smiles on our faces as we laid pressed against each others bare bodies. Whenever we'd see each other, we would always be in good moods. Of course, we had a few hiccups like any other relationship, like the rocky relationship I had with her best friend, but that was something we could work on.

The main issue was the lying and betraying I did when it came to the topic of my marriage. Hopefully, that was something we could move past, but I could only dream.

Not wanting to maintain the silence that filled the room, I parted my lips to say something but Cheyenne's dad cut me off before a syllable dared to slip from my mouth.

"Look, Vincent," he sneered when he said my name, going out of his way to emphasize his obvious disdain for me, "I'm going to be very honest with you, alright? My little girl was just telling me about you," he looked me up and down with a curled upper lip before continuing, "and I don't like you." He said simply. 

I sighed as I processed his words. 

I'd be lying if I said I expected anything less from him. I didn't expect him to ease into a conversation but his avidity surprised me.