Chapter 16

Baby Girl

-

CHEYENNE'S POINT OF VIEW

My hands were trembling as I held them against my stomach.

I was frightened of the idea of becoming a mom. I, like any other girl, have dreamed of having children. I wanted to dress my baby up in the cutest outfits and decorate a nursery. I wanted to be surrounded by the ethereal scent that every baby seemed to have. I wanted all of that but in my own time. I was too young to be a mother.

After I took the pregnancy test, I told Thalia. I was shaking as I sobbed helplessly into her arms. I didn't know how to react accordingly to this news. Shock took over me as I pondered having a baby at 18 years old. It was stressful, not to mention Vincent's role in this.

I would have to tell him. He was the only man I had been with so there was no denying that he was the father. I was going to have Vincent's baby. That was one of the only things that went through my mind that day I took the pregnancy test.

Thalia recommended that I see a doctor for confirmation. She could tell I was anxious and tried everything she could to reassure me that everything was going to be okay.

She helped me take care of scheduling a doctor's appointment and today was the day.

I looked over myself in the mirror. I wore a slouched shirt to hide a bump that I imagined was already there. As I hovered my palms over my stomach, I heard my phone ring from the nightstand beside my bed.

I walked over to the nightstand and grabbed my phone, answering it with a simple hello.

Thalia's voice chimed in my ears. "Hey, are you ready? I'm waiting downstairs" she said. I could hear the sound of her car's engine humming in the background. I licked my lips nervously as the reality started to sink in. I nodded my head and answered her. "Yeah, I'm ready. I'll head downstairs now." I told her before hanging up.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. "You can do this. Everything's going to be okay. You're going to be okay." I whispered to myself as I looked into the eyes of my reflection.

I grabbed my things and walked out of my room, heading downstairs to where Thalia was parked in the driveway. I let myself in her car and took a deep breath after I buckled myself in.

"You okay?" Thalia asked softly. Her hand rested on my shoulder in comfort.

I nodded at her. "Yeah, just a little nervous, that's all," I admitted.

Her face held a sympathetic expression. She could tell how much grief I had been in since I took the pregnancy test. All she was trying to do was alleviate my anxiety. I was grateful for it. I was glad to have her here with me during this difficult time. Truth be told, I was thankful that someone was going through this with me. I couldn't manage this all on my own. The fact that my best friend was the one by my side through this made it a little easier to handle.

"You're gonna be alright, Che. I'm right here with you, girl." Thalia smiled at me making me mirror her. She patted my shoulder twice before exiting the driveway. She headed towards downtown Northbrook where the doctor's office was.

It took us only twenty minutes to get to the doctor but it felt like only seconds had passed. I had no time to recall anything before Thalia pulled into a free parking spot closest to the entrance of the building.