3. Stay >Sambucky<

THE MOMENT YOU'RE ALL BEEN WAITIN' FOR- I PRESENT TO YOU, SAMBUCKY 😂✊🏼 This takes place like a few months after Tony's death.
______________________________________

Bucky stared at his still full cup of tea at 3 in the morning, unmoving for 2 hours straight. His mind was full of things and he couldn't get himself to sleep at all. The memories just kept swirling around his mind in circles.

He then listened to the quiet footsteps towards the kitchen and he made no move to indicate that he heard them.

Sam entered the kitchen with a small smile. "Hey, Barnes," he greeted gently. Bucky blankly looked at him but didn't say anything. Sam sighed a little before sitting down next to him. "You want to tell me what's wrong? You've been very quiet lately. And I know it's because of Steve."

"He promised, Wilson. 'Till the end of the line,' he said. But he lied. He left me at this end and now-" Bucky haltered before letting a small smile graced his lips, feeling slightly melancholy. "I wanted him to stay, live here with us but I didn't want him to think I was being selfish. He really wanted that dance with Peggy and somehow I couldn't do anything except to watch him leave."

Sam felt a little sad for his friend and placed a gentle hand on Bucky's shoulder. "You've been nothing but supportive, Barnes. It's not selfish that you wanted him to stay because you've been with him even before he got the Serum. God forbid me from saying this again but you've been very brave. For yourself and for him. Letting go of someone is not easy."

"Are ya complimenting me, Sam Wilson?" Bucky asked with a slight teasing in his tone. Almost instantly, the mood was lifted up. Sam grimaced jokingly and pushed him away. "Ugh, I ain't doin' that again," he said.

Bucky then froze when he heard his name being called faintly with his super-sensitive hearing. He stood up and run towards Steve's room in their apartment calling back, "Stevie?!"

He opened the door to see Steve breathing a little heavily on the bed, a hand weakly reaching out towards him. He instantly grabbed the hand and brought it to his lips without thinking. "Hey, hey. I'm here. I'm here, Stevie. Talk to me please," Bucky spoke, voice trembling.

"Bucky.." Steve breathed out with a gentle smile as his old frail body turned to face him. "You look... sad. Why are you sad..?"

Bucky tried to talk but he couldn't get the words out past the lump in his throat. The brunette choked out a sob, already knowing what was going to happen to his best friend.

"Bucky," Steve blinked slowly. "Tony.. he.. he left something for you. A letter.. in the drawer along with mine," he said with a soft voice.

"Buck... Buck, I'm so sorry," Steve whimpered, tears trailing down his wrinkled face. "I wanted to stay. I wanted to but.. but I was too scared... I was scared that I couldn't belong anywhere. After Tony... After his death, I couldn't... I couldn't find peace. He was my home the moment I woke up from the Ice. I'm sorry. I'm sorry," Steve heaved.

Bucky cupped Steve's cheek with a small smile. "It's okay, punk. There's nothing wrong for you to go back in time. Besides, you didn't leave me alone here," he glanced at Sam briefly before pressing his forehead gently with Steve's. "I'm not mad at you. I forgive you. You know that" the elder whispered.

Steve's eyes held a knowing look before it started fluttering close, looking very tired out of sudden. "I love you, jerk. Remember that. Till the end of the line."

"Always, punk. Till the end of the line. I.. I love you too."

The supersoldier sobbed when Steve's happy blue eyes closed for the last time, never to be open again. He felt the last breath exhaled on his face and his tears dripped onto the once warm skin.