4. Work It Out >Stony<

Highschool!AU
______________________________________

Tony Stark and Steve Rogers were two very different people. Very very different people.

Tony was a 17-year-old loud, genius, obnoxious, stubborn, famous, rich nerd that was outgoing and uses sarcasm with everyone as a habit to poke some fun for himself. He was friendly with only the people he knew on personal accounts (like Pepper, Happy, Rhodey, Bruce, Thor, Natasha, Clint and Scott) and don't let it fool you if you ever see him being friendly with anyone else. He's just good at faking his expression.

His hair was dark brown and he had golden-brown eyes. His skin was only slightly tanned and he always kept a goatee. He was quite short too.

Meanwhile, Steve was a 17-year-old quiet, calm, shy, stubborn, artistic, poor nerd that occasionally do workouts to make his body built. He was very sassy but only to his close friends; Bucky, Natasha and Sam. He was mostly quiet in class, sitting at the back, drawing quietly in his notebook while listening to the teacher. He wore his heart out on his sleeves and he was never afraid to voice out his disagreement whenever it seems relevant enough.

He had blond hair that he always styled quiff with sky blue eyes. He was tall and quite built. His skin was milky white and his face was always cleaned from any facial hair.

So, you would wonder how these two would work it out if they ever dated, right? It would be a miracle if their relationship runs smoothly.

But opposites attract.

Steve was the water to Tony's fire and whenever Steve was fire, Tony would be the water. Steve was the Moon and Tony was the Sun. Even when they were at odds, they still work it out quite well with each other.

Though it would be a lie to say that their relationship doesn't have any flaws at all. The thing was that they argue quite a lot of times and occasionally hurtful words were thrown at each other.

They even had broken up once before.

Tony had said something quite sensitive to Steve and the blond male couldn't handle it so he ended the relationship and left. Feeling extremely guilty, Tony tried to reconcile with Steve but the other just shut him out. Though he didn't up and tried to win Steve's trust again. Soon enough, they got back together.

They've been together for 7 years.

Steve gave a small smile when Tony greeted him at lunch with a kiss. "Hello, beautiful," the shorter male said. Steve blushed bright red and greeted back shyly, "Hi, handsome."

Tony grinned and laid his body down to the ground with his head on Steve's lap. Back against a shady tree, the latter made himself comfortable as he carded his hand through the brown locks. "So, graduation is coming," Tony started casually. "I was thinking about going to MIT. What about you? Are you gonna join me?"

Steve blinked and stopped his movements, tensing slightly. "O-Oh. U-Um, I-I decided not to.. further study.. in MIT," he stuttered and gulped at Tony's confused expression. "I-I want to go to an art school, Tony."

"Oh," Tony trailed blankly, a hint of disappointment slipped into his tone. "That's.. great then."

"Are you.. mad?" Steve asked in a small voice. Tony blinked before smiling brightly. Faked, Steve thought. "I'm not!" he waved it off in dismissal. "I'm just a little sad that I won't be going to college with my boyfriend."

"I-I'm sorry.." Steve wilted visibly. "I-I tried to find something that I'm interested in.. in MIT b-but nothing really... attracts me. I-I know you want me to go to MIT with you.. b-but I couldn't... I-I just-" Steve sighed in frustration when he couldn't say what he wanted clearly.

Tony smiled gently and held onto Steve's hand, kissing the back gently with love. "It's fine, baby. I know. You don't have to explain anymore. You love art. It'll be awesome to go to an art school. I saw most of your drawings and they're amazing, Stevie. Maybe one day you could be a famous artist, exhibiting your heart to the world."

"You are my heart, Tony and my world," Steve murmured as he looked into the brown eyes that he had come to love so much for the past few years. Tony softened and sat up, turning to face his boyfriend.

Steve ducked his head shyly under the intense gaze Tony had at the moment. "I love you," he whispered. Turning redder every second until his face resembled a riped tomato, Steve giggled cutely, covering his face in embarrassment before saying the words back, "I love you too."

Tony smirked and pecked his lips after he pulled his hands away from his burning cheeks.

It was hard at first.

Steve was uncomfortable with the distance but Tony always reminded him that they will be reunited soon enough and that they can still visit each other on holidays.

Tony tried hard to make it work. Steve could see how much effort Tony put and dedicated for this relationship. They called regularly and would text each other often enough. It made Steve's heart very warm.

There were still doubts circling around his head time after time but Steve believed in them and the amount of love they have for each other. It was hard but still bearable. So, it was good enough for him.

"Hey, baby. I miss you."

Steve's cheeks blossomed a rosy colour as he looked at the screen of his laptop that Tony bought for his 16th birthday. "Hi, Tony. I miss you too. How have you been?"

Tony grinned at him and shrugged. "It's been boring. Everything here is so easy." And their conversation picked up from there. They talk and talk for hours until they have to go to sleep.

"I love you, baby. Remember that," Tony said.

Steve did.