Miss. Alene

My lips stumbled as I said again, " I like him, a lot." I stood before her as she sat up, intrigued by Mister. Me, "he's an acquaintance."

"He makes you uncomfortable," she stated.

I saw Mister. Me shift his footing. I knew he wanted to speak. He was restraining himself. He was not at ease whenever he fidgeted.

Did I do something that bothered him? Or did maybe was it Emily?

I cleared my throat, " no he doesn't, Emily," I lied, " why would he make me uncomfortable?"

She paused to think, " I don't know."

"Okay then," I held her small disfigured hand. My gut twisted as her uneven finger twitched, " how are you feeling?"

" Why do you keep forcing me to sleep? Is it because you prefer me when I'm asleep? "

Her round blue eyes bore into mine, " you needed to sleep. You were tired. "

"No, I wasn't."

I sighed. At times like this I just wanted to leave. But I was assigned to Emily, so I will not leave. Emily will get better because of me. It's my job. I never fail to achieve.

"Are you going to leave me again?" She looked afraid. She stared off besides me. Then around the room. Her heavy breathing and gasps scared me as she stared at what seemed to be nothing. That nothing, was something terrifying her.

Now I felt Mister.Me standing at my side," she's hallucinating."

I nod," Emily?" I said calmly, "Emily can you hear me?"

She continued to shake in fear. She stared at Mister.Me in fear. Mister.Me sat down, " Emily, can you hear me?"

"Don't hurt me! I'm sorry!" She wailed, her face pouring with tears. Her cry coming from her small disfigured mouth that  sounded more like a poor injured creature.

My heart squeezed for her, " Emily? It's me, Miss. Alene. Emily if you can hear me let me know."

For the longest time, she continued to panic. Then, slowly her small face glistening with sweat turned and stared away from Mister.Me. She wasn't looking at me neither. She looked at nothing.

Or at least I saw nothing.

"Emily? Do you hear me?"

She nod.

" I'm here and you're okay. Whatever your experiencing besides me is not real." I started to softly pat her back, " It is not real. Do you hear me?"

She nod, " it's real, Miss. Alene. It's real."

I squeezed her red hands, " it's not real. I can't see it, Emily. It's not real," I gave her a reassuring squeeze again, " this. This is real. I'm real."

"I know but it's not going away," she cried.

"What do you see, Emily?"

With quivering lips she managed to stutter, " daddy wants to hurt me," she sniffed, " he's hurting me, Miss. Alene."

My heart shattered. Past trauma. I didn't like her visioning this.

I rubbed circles on her back, " Emily, it's not real. It's not real. Close your eyes, count as long as you need to. Breath. Breath, Emily. Do you hear me?"

She nod, following my instructions. Her breathes were shaky, but it's better than hyperventilating. Better than seeing her terrified.

She's so young. It's sad seeing her having all these problems.

These obstacles.

I'll knock them down.

" Should we have a sleepover Emily? Just you and me."

She nod, now, calm," just you and me?"

I couldn't help but let my eyes water as she came out from the hallucination. I repeatedly nod my head, " yes. just you and me."

Just you and me.