「Chapter One」

I discovered my force powers at a young age, after my mother and father passed away.

Having to live on my own, I used them to the best of my ability, to steal when I needed food, to fight when I needed to survive... I made myself invisible.

I never understood why I was given this power, one which I did not understand. But the older I got, the more I yearned for guidance, knowledge...

-

        I wandered through the sketchy market of this deserted outpost, red and orange canopies hanging overhead, blocking the harsh sun. Passing many familiar, rough faces, those of which that belonged to long-time natives, born and raised on this empty planet.

As I pass a few vendors set up scattered beneath the large canopy, I happen upon a pile of what looked to just be scavenged parts, completely useless. But as I looked closer, I detected what seemed to be a hilt to some sort of weapon. I began rummaging through the pile, taking the hilt and examining closer until ultimately finding that it was a destroyed lightsaber.

I'd only heard legends of these weapons, rumors of the people whom wielded them and their unfortunate demise, but I only knew little of it. There was no crystal inside to power it, but putting this weapon back together was the least I could do to kill time. So taking the broken pieces of the saber, I made way to my campsite where sat two familiar faces. They were neighbors, of sorts.

I walked into my tent and plopped onto a pillow on the ground, spreading the pieces out before me. For a while, I stared curiously to them, not quite sure how to piece them together, but after some time, I began to gain a better understanding. Having lived alone, fixing and replacing became a skill of mine, as this cruel environment groomed me to grow independent.

One by one, with patience, I put the saber hilt back together. And though it wasn't functioning without a kyber crystal, I was proud of my work.

In my focus on admiring the hilt, I heard a faint voice, an old man calling my name, a tug which almost knocked me over. I broke from my trance, brows furrowed as my eyes wandered around the tent searching for what could've pulled me until a sudden blast striking the ground near me along with the distant screams of locals.

My attention was finally forced on the attack on the settlement I quickly jumped to my feet, poking my head out of the tent and looking to the distant outpost market.

"What's going on?" I ask the familiar face.

"I think we're under attack!" The old lady replies. I take a look around, the stingy people hastily packing their belongings, while others run. Confused children are left behind, scared, crying and calling for their parents.

I began to feel a confliction inside of me at this moment. Part of me wanted to take my things and run the other way, while the other half couldn't help but think of the innocent people.

So I made a decision.

Taking the dysfunctional lightsaber and clipping it to my pants, hiding it beneath the large flap of my belt, I run towards the market. Dirt that was still partially wet from yesterdays rain and small rocks kick up beneath my feet as I pick up speed, the hot still air splitting against my face and through my hair. My heart began to race the closer I got, pounding against my chest as if to say stop, don't do it. But it was too late.

I was cut off for a moment by a blast from the ships in the sky, shards of sand raining down from the blast, but continued into the market anyways, grabbing as many people as I could and shielding them from any shots fired, guiding them to safety.

And just as I lead one last child, who stood alone, away from the conflict, I began to feel this strange push inside me, like a second sense. I followed this strange feeling and turned to spot an ominous black ship landing not too far from where I stood. As I watched curiously, I noticed a man in dark robes and a mask exit the ship, a seemingly functional lightsaber in hand.

I lifted one hand to block the sun that blinded me, and watched with a closer look as he used some sort of force to bend people to his will, pushing them into a line and bringing them to their knees, hands behind their heads. The child who fearfully gripped my other hand began to tug and scream just as, a little too late, I felt the sense call to me and right as I turned, I was struck in the face with the backend of a blaster.

My conscience faded in and out as a stormtrooper drug me to the line of captives. I was thrown down to my knees, just barely catching and holding myself up with my hands on the hot sand. I took a moment, and lifted myself, looking up as I seen a row of armed stormtroopers looking over us.

"Take them aboard. If they want to live, they'll join us." The masked man said through a distorted voice as he entered his ship. I watched it begin to hover, then take off and disappear in the distance as the stormtroopers stood us up and walked us to a separate ship. While doing so, one of the captives behind me attempted escape. I watched as a trooper shot him down. His lifeless body hit the ground with a loud thud, and all I could do was watch. I turned, facing forward and trying not to think of the dead man behind me.

Though I was scared in this moment, I didn't fight back. Something inside of me told me to stay, so I cooperated.

Once we entered the shuttle, cramping us captives along with the stormtroopers inside, it was flown to a larger ship not too far from the planet. We were pushed out into a landing zone for tie fighters and other incoming ships. It was large, clean, beautiful... on the floors I could see my reflection, the blood dripping from the wound on my forehead beginning to dry on my face.

I began to feel the subtle sense again. I turned, seeing the masked man. Through listening to nearby chatter, I managed to find his name was Kylo Ren.

That was when I knew, I needed a teacher to show me the ways of the force. I needed Kylo Ren.