~23~

3 Weeks Later

I stood balanced, trying to place the tape level and keep the poster straight. Once it was stuck, I turned as much as I could on the ladder. "Can you hand me the level?"

"Of course, Brad Pitiful" Roman walked towards me, the tool in his hand.

"Thanks." I placed it along the top edge, finding the bubble to be centered. With a satisfied nod, I climbed down the rungs.

"Death of a Bachelor?" Roman said, looking at it as he moved beside me.

"The best Panic! Album," I said simply. (Fight Me)

"If you say so." He shrugged, moving over to continue what he was working on.

I took that moment to work around my room. The walls had been painted a deep purple, with an accent wall in black. A Nightmare Before Christmas bedspread replaced my old one, and all cobwebs were gone. The old poster was in the same place, but several more now joined it. My room felt more like my room now. With a satisfied expression, I turned around to look at the final corner.

Greeting me was a large black sheet, covering a good 1/6th of the total area. Roman was apparently working on a "surprise" for me, and refused to let me peek. He wouldn't even leave me here alone. That also meant I had been sleeping on an air mattress for a week.

"Are you almost finished? It's the only thing that's still left to do before we're done."

"Easy, JD. Perfection takes time. Not everything just turns out flawless like me!"

I rolled my eyes, smirking.

"Whatever, I need food. Want me to bring you something?" I took some steps toward the door as he poked his face out of the curtain.

"Just a water, thanks." His head disappeared again, and I headed down the hall.

I made my way down, smirking as I passed the other's doors. It had been good since I got back. Patton had over compensated at first, never leaving me alone for more than a second. Logan helped him to calm down, however. Me and Roman now had a bet going for how long it would be until they got together.

A quick look in the fridge gave me some leftover mac and cheese to heat up, leaving me a minute and a half to wait.

Roman had been helping me redo my room since a few days after I got back. We spent several hours in there each day, "Trying to capture the vision in my mind for the perfect space," In Princey's words. He had been very excited throughout the entire process, drawing many designs and spending hours looking online to find poster ideas and stuff to add to the space.

About a week ago, Roman had put up the curtain, claiming he wanted to make a surprise feature that I would love. I had doubts, but I trusted him nonetheless. Besides, I could get rid of it if I wanted.

"Well you're lost in thought." A voice came from behind me. I turned to see Remy walking towards the coffee machine, a "Coffee makes me feel less murdery" mug in hand.

"Just zoning out," I responded, throwing a glance over at the microwave to see about 30 seconds left.

"How's the room revamp with your boyfriend going?" He asked as he popped a coffee pod in the machine.

"W-What? He-he's not my boyfriend," I spattered out, feeling my face heat up.

"Yeah, that was convincing." He started the machine. "You guys are constantly hanging out, you give each other lovey-dovey looks, and you're sleeping in the same room."

"It's not 'hanging out,' it's working on something together. And the only reason I'm in his room is because he won't let me be in mine if he's not there. Too worried about me peeking behind that curtain. Besides, I'm on an air mattress, we're not sharing a bed or anything."

"Those all sound like excuses." He leaned against the counter, lifting his glasses to the top of his head."But even if the ship hasn't sailed, there's no doubt the feelings are there."

The microwave beeped, and I went to grab the tupperware while I answered. "Are you seriously trying to claim I like Princey?"

"If the red sash fits."

"No." I don't like Roman. I mean, yeah, he's super nice, patient, helps me out, talks to me, and all that. But the butterflies I get around him are just anxiety, right? Right? You trying to convince Remy or yourself?

I walked to the fridge to grab Roman's water, my food in one hand. He's just a friend."

"Right. That's why him standing you up caused you so much pain you moved over with me and the snake."

"You know that's not what happened."

"That's what you thought happened when you left."

"Whatever. I have to get back. We're almost done with the room. I gathered my stuff, starting to walk away.

"Say hi to lover boy for me," he called out, causing me to groan in frustration as I headed back down the hall.

"Honestly, Remy was just spouting nonsense," I muttered to myself. I opened the door, seeing an excited Roman standing there, practically bouncing up and down. His grin was infectious, and I felt a smile grow. Okay, maybe it's not so nonsensical after all.