NINE

AVA'S POV

I wait patiently for all the girls to fall asleep before I quickly change into a more comfortable dress.

Quietly, I slip out and make my way to the waterfountain

As soon as I arrive I do not see Max. Perhaps I'm early? Or to late?

Out of the corner of my eye I notice his blonde hair standing by a bunch of trees.

I make my way over there, I then stop dead in my tracks as I see Zara all over him. I struggle to pull my eyes away from them.

A hint of jealousy stirrs up inside of me.

But wait, why am I jealous? I told the girls myself that Ross is waiting for me back home. Which reminds me, it's been a month and I still haven't mustered up the courage to write him a letter.

I take in the sight before me once more before disappearing into my room. Quietly I search for paper and a pen. Then I lock myself up in the bathroom.

Dear Beloved

I am terribly sorry that I have not written this sooner.

I just could not find the words to describe my longing for you. It pains me to write you this letter as I long for your touch and your kisses.

I miss our daily banter under my apple tree or your random commentary while we walk around in the market.

I miss your hugs and your smile.

I love you.

Ava

I shut my sketchbook as I make a mental note to give my letter to Lorelai  to mail for me tomorrow morning.

Slowly I make my way back to my bed and force myself to fall asleep.

MAX'S POV

-A Few Days Later-

Ava has been avoiding me and I'm not sure why. When I see her with Veronica, immediately I walk up to her. Everyone curtsies except her. Which is not unusual.

I stare at her, "Did you forget about our plans last night?" She shakes her head, "No, but I told you that there was a possibility that I won't be able to make it." I nod, "Right, I'm sorry."

She stares at me, "Yeah, me too." I furrow my eyebrows, "You okay?" She nods, "Of course." With that said she walks off, leaving me even more confused than before.

Zara struts over to me, "Are we still on for this evening?" I shake my head, "Sorry, I have a last minute meeting." She frowns, "Is there no way that you can reschedule?"

I stare at her before walking away.

AVA'S POV

-Later-

I make my way to the waterfountain. I'm not in the mood for dinner tonight.

MAX'S POV

After dinner I make my way to the main dinning room only to see all the girls there except Ava.

I walk all around the castle only to find her by the fountain.

It's officially our spot.

I make my way to her. As soon as I approach her, I hear soft sobs. My heart aches at the sight of her blotchy red eyes.

Anxiety builds up within me at the thought that I could have caused her this pain.

I sit down beside her, she jumps at the sight of me. Immediately she wipes away her tears and looks in the opposite direction.

I say gently, "Hey, you don't need to hide away. I think you look beautiful-"

She snaps, "Enough with the flattery! Stop pretending to care! I know that you don't."

Unbelievable.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Ava, I cannot believe you! You know I care so deeply about you. You keep pushing me away."

She is about to protests until I force her into my embrace. After some more minor protests she wraps her arms around my waist.

I caress her hair and whisper, "This is all going to be okay. I'm here for you."

AVA'S POV

The longer he holds me the more my heart breaks. This is wrong. I'm in a relationship with Ross.

The more time I spend with Max the more I begin to fall for him. I shouldn't be falling for him. Ross has my heart, I love no other man but Ross.

So I do what I need to do.

This kills me.

But I push him away. I refuse to meet his eyes before I turn on my heel and run back inside.

As soon as I'm inside I turn around and stare outside the window only to see Max still standing in the same position that I left him in.

-Later-

It's time for Max to read what girls are going home.

I patiently wait for my name to be called.

To my suprise, my name does not come up.

Instead of Ava-Lane Montgomery, he reads off his sheet:

Zara Clifford and Clarissa Dubree.