TWELVE

AVA'S POV

Dear Ava

I'm sorry for taking such a long time to get back to you.

I assumed that you did not want to hear from me, until your letter came. I miss you, my dear.

Honestly, I think now is an excellent time to come home. We can get married, your father has given me his blessing.

Yours sincerely
Ross

A tear falls down my cheek. The last thing I want is to leave the castle, to leave Max. In fact, is it so wrong that I enjoy the idea of being Queen?

Being with Max is all I want right now.

My thoughts are interrupted by Lorelai, "Alright Ava, let's get you ready!"

-Later-

I stare at my reflection as Lorelai touches up the last of my make up. Then I hear a knock on my door.

Lorelai smiles, "It's the Royal Highness!"

I take in my reflection one last time. I mutter under my breathe, "Princess Ava."

As soon as Max sees me his jaw falls

As soon as Max sees me his jaw falls. I giggle, "You ready?" He nods, "You look extraordinary." He kisses my cheek and takes my hand as we walk.

As soon as we pass the main dining hall I notice Vee sitting all alone.

Then I remember, we were supposed to have dinner together.

She sees me and she raises her eyebrows, along with the other girls. Immediately the whispers begin.

VERONICA'S POV

Patiently I wait for Ava only to see her in the Prince's arms. I cannot believe she did not inform me about her other plans.

I would have understood.

We make eye contact before I look away. She's ashamed, I can see it. I shake my head as I proceed to eat my dinner.

AVA'S POV

Max glances at them and then at me. "You okay?" I nod, "Yes, just a bit nervous. I cannot deny the butterflies." He smiles, "Don't worry. I'll be right beside you the entire time."

I smile and he kisses my cheek once more before we enter the Royal Chambers.

As soon as I see the King and Queen immediately I curtsey, "Your Majesties." The Queen beams, "Ah that dress! You look exceptional!"

I smile, "Why thank you, you look even more dashing in person." She smiles, "Why thank you, my dear."

The King smiles, "Please, have a seat." Max and I sit down. The King clears his throat, "So enlighten me, Miss Montgomery. Tell me about your family."

I smile, "Well, there's not much to tell. My Father works at the bank and my Mother makes dresses. Then there's my younger sister, Katrina, who I absolutely adore."

The Queen smiles, "In other words, your family is extremely important to you." I smile, "Indeed."

I glance at Mac whose smiling at me. The Queen gently nudges her husband as he smiles and nods.

"Miss Montgomery, let's say, hypothetically, you become our next Queen. If you could make any changes, what would they be?"

I take a moment to really think about the King's question.

Then it hits me.

I nod, "Well your Highness, I would remove the classes." The Queen gasps and drops her cutlery, while the King studies me intensely.

I glance at Max who subtly nods, "I think that that is an exceptional idea-" The King cuts him off, "Why so, Miss Montgomery?"

I stare at the King, "So that we an all be seen as equal individuals." He smirks, "But we're not equal." "Due to the public's perception of how one determines upper class from middle class. Yes, I understand that circumstances may vary. But to group individuals in specific classes and avoid them from mingling with other classes seems a bit ludicrous to me."

The King nods,"Hmm. I see."

Max grabs my hand from under the table before lightly tracing small circles across my hand.

MAX'S POV

-After Dinner-

Once I returned back to the Royal chambers my Father calls outs to me. As soon as I see him I notice a small smile tug at the corners of his l mouth.

"She is witty and fiesty. I like that. She reminds me a lot of your grandmother." I smile and nod, "Indeed she does. Where is Mother?"

As soon as I see my Mother, I notice that she's choosing another dress for the Royal Games. She turns around and smiles as soon as she sees me, "Ava is a dashing young lady. I can see why you fancy her."

I smile, "She's everything I want and more." Mother smiles, "Well, before you make your decision, try and see how you feel about the other candidates before your decision is set in stone. As there are no going back, you will choose once and marry once."

I nod, "Understood, Mother."

She misses my forehead before proceeding to look at dress samples.