SEVENTEEN

AVA'S POV

Once I've read the letter I glance up at Ross. He shrugs, "If you love him, then there's nothing I can do to change that."

I remain silent.

After a few more seconds I walk outside of my room to see if Ross is still there.

He is.

Slowly, he follows me inside of my room.

I stare at the floor, "Ross this is not an easy decision to make. In fact, this is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. If I choose you I sacrifice my family. If I choose Max, that means saying goodbye to you. I-"

I trail off..

He clears his throat, "Here me out. Come home, all of this, isn't you. I promise if you choose me we can get married and I'll provide for us. Let's get married, start a family. Besides, I have your Father's blessing. Not Max, remember that."

Before I could respond he places a gentle kiss to my forehead before walking out.

I shake my head as I'm so uncertain and indecisive.

Lying to Max is not fair.

I turn around and place the letter on my dresser. Just then out of nowhere Max enters my room.

I jump.

He bursts out laughing, "Sorry Ava, I didn't mean to frighten you."

I smile and shake my head, "It's alright. So, uh, what can I help you with?"

He furrows his eyebrows, "You okay?" I nod, "Yeah, of course."

He nods, "So I spoke with your Mother and Katrina. What a lovely bunch of people. You're Mother intrigued me on her opinion about politics and government. While Katrina challenged my critical thinking regarding love."

I laugh, "Typical Kate."

He then stares at me, "I managed to briefly speak to Ross. He seems very tense, he spoke a lot about you. Were you two together at some point in time?"

I notice how Max has his hands balled into fists, his knuckles as white as snow.

I nod, "Yes. We were together once upon a time." Max looks away but nods slowly, "Alright then."

I walk towards him and gently cup his cheek. He turns to me, looking somewhat hurt with a touch of jealousy.

He then places his hands on my waist before gently leaning down to kiss me.

VERONICA'S POV

As I walk past Ava's room I see Max leaning in to kiss her.

My blood boils.

This isn't fair.

I storm past her room to search for Ross.

As soon as I see him I grab his arm. He jerks his arm away before furrowing his eyebrows, "I'm sorry miss, but I'm not-"

I cut him off, "I'm Ava's best friend. You must be Ross. She's mentioned you before. In fact, she still loves you."

His eyes light up, "She does! I should go and-"

I shake my head, "Woah, not so fast. Listen to me, I've got a plan to get her to come home. You need to trust me, okay."

He nods, "I'll do anything."

I nod, "Well, when you arrive back home today. Write her a love letter where you spill out every emotion that you feel. Reminisce about the past days and all your affection. I'll make sure the letter gets out to her. I'll convince her to come home as well. You two will be able to get married and live happily ever after."

He smiles, "You know what's best for her. Thank you."

AVA'S POV

-Later-

I hug Kate and my Mother one last time before they depart. My heart aches to see them leave once again.

Ross engulfs me in a hug and kisses my cheek.

Max stares at us tensly.

As soon as we all enter the castle Max clears his throat. Clearly wanting all our attention.

Everyone stares at him and to our suprise the King and Queen enter the room.

Max smiles, "It was lovely too meet all of your families. I enjoyed seeing the people who have molded you into the individual you are today. Now, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I have decided to make a change of plans. Instead of sending two people home tomorrow I have decided to send three candidates home today."

Everyone gasps. Veronica grabs my hand while the King and Queen look thrown off guard as well as suprised.

Max glances at me.

"Ava-Lane Montgomery and Veronica Walsh, would you two do me the honour of being my two final contestants."

My eyes widen and Veronica beams, "Yes! Of course we'd love to be your two final contestants."

All eyes are on me to confirm, "Count me in!"

Max smiles, "Splendid! So it's settled then."

Veronica turns to me, "I'm so happy! We should celebrate! How about, we go and personally design our dresses for the Royal Games?"

I nod, "Brilliant idea."

Veronica smiles, "I'll come to your dorm after luncheon."

I nod.