FIFTEEN

MAX'S POV

I look everywhere for Ava but she is nowhere to be found. I know better than to barge in on a female at this hour.

I decide to check on her tomorrow morning.

AVA'S POV

As soon as we arrive back to the castle immediately I dash into the library and sit myself down in a corner where no one can see me.

I sigh as I allow myself to silently sob. I feel so overwhelmed and confused.

Is it Max or is it Ross? Should I stay here or should I go home? How long does my Father have? Will I be able to see him before he goes?

After what seems like an eternity I finally get up and make my way back to my room. All the lights are off, which means that all have gone to bed.

I sigh as soon as I enter my room I see a warm pot of tea and a note from Lorelai.

I'm assuming that you want to be left alone. You don't seem like your usual self. But a cup of hot tea always takes the blues away.

I smile as soon as I enter the restroom to freshen up I see my bath has already been set.

How grateful am I for Lorelai.

-Next Day-

Today is family day! I'm so excited. So I freshen up and make sure that I look as dashing as ever.

So I decided to settle on this:

I am about to head out into the main lounge until there's a knock on my door

Assuming it's Lorelai coming back with some tea I say,

"Come in."

As soon as I turn around I see Max staring at me with a red rose in his hand.

He smiles, "How convenient, it matches your dress."

I fold my arms, "I cannot believe you."

He furrows his eyebrows, "I don't understand. Did I miss something?" I shake my head as I begin to pace around my room.

Max gently places the rose on my bed before closing my door and walking closer towards me.

I place my hand in front of him, causing him to freeze in his position.

"Do you think this is a joke?"

He raises his eyebrows, "Ava, I'm not following. Did I do something wrong?"

I laugh, "Did you do something wrong? Please don't act oblivious and ignorant. You left me, for an entire week, in fact today it's been two weeks! You haven't even come to greet me, so when I finally see you I see that you've got multiple woman on your arms and yet you come waltzing in her and pretending that everything between you and I is okay."

MAX'S POV

I'm speechless.

She stares at me, her eyes piercing into mine. Before she shakes her head,

"Exactly. Just what I thought."

Something inside of me begins to brew. Is it anger? Jealousy? Fatigue? Fear or attraction?

Perhaps a combination. I'm uncertain.

One thing I do know is that I'm exhausted and I am emotional and physically depleted.

Ava sits down on her bed before rising to her feet again. "Max, I don't even know if we're going to work-"

Then I do something completely unexpected.

I snap.

"Enough! I'm tired of hearing you complain. Ava, you don't understand. These past two weeks have been so rough! Never in my life have I stayed up all night consecutively residing documents, making royal decisions and still needing to wake up bright and early to attend more meetings and gatherings. So I'm sorry that I could not come and check up on you, did you maybe think to come check up on me? Absolutely not."

Her eyes glisten with tears,

"You do not get to compare my week to yours. I found out my Father is dying. My mom's stressing about medical finances and I don't even know what to do anymore."

My heart softens.

Oh no, what did I do.

Hesitantly, I walk over to her. I pull her close to me. To my suprise she flinches and pulls away.

I'm stunned, but I manage to compose myself.

She sighs, "Maxwell, be honest with me, why am I here? Why haven't you sent me home?"

I pause. I think about her question.

She's about to walk over to the door, but before she could do that, I say

"It's taken me these two weeks to realize that being apart from you is not what I want. I become someone I'm not when I'm not with you, when I snapped earlier, that wasn't me. I never lose my temper. Ever."

She furrows her eyebrows, "Still does not answer my qu-"

I blurt out, "I love you."

Before she can react the door flies open.

AVA'S POV

Lorelai walks in beaming, "Here she is."

As soon as she turns around her face goes pale as soon as she sees Maxwell, quickly she composes herself before she curtises.

Mother and Kate come barging through the door and tackle me into a warm hug.

Before I am engulfed into a hug I notice another figure in the doorway.

Ross.