TWENTY ONE

AVA'S POV

-Later-

The King and I are in a friendly debate about the categories. His friends keep up the rebuttals, but I as wee each of their questions with enthusiasm and confidence, which never fails to take them by surprise.

After what seems like ten minutes the King smiles, "They all seem to have taken a strong liking towards you. The Queen has informed me about how pleased Regina is with you. Not to mention a very close friend of Maxwell's, James."

I smile, "Well I am honoured. Thank you, your Highness."

VERONICA'S POV

No one seems to notice me. So slowly, I make my way to Ava's room. I manage to walk right past her and the King, who seems to be in a deep discussion.

Once I enter her room I notice her maid sorting through Ava's clothing. I mentally sigh, if only my maid cared half as much about me as Ava's does over her.

She stands up, "Ah, Miss Walsh. I'm so sorry I did not expect you here-"

I smile and shake my head, "No worries, I happened to have left something of mine on her dresser the other day. I was wondering if I could please come and fetch it."

The maid smiles and nods, "Why of course."

Once I reach the dresser I look for the letters. Fortunately I stumble across her diary and the letters. In fact, I even found Ava's letter to Ross. I smile as I pick them up and tuck them away in the sleeve of my dress.

I turn to the maid, "Silly me. I forgot that I took it back yesterday. So sorry to disturb you."

The maid smiles, "No worries."

Quickly I hide the letters in my closet. Then I return to the gardens.

Ava smiles at me, "I've been looking all over for you. It's time for us to get ready for dinner."

I smile, "Alright, let's go."

We change into our gowns that we picked out a while ago.

We then meet up in the hallway. She smiles at me.

"You look beautiful."

I grin, "So do you my darling, so do you."

AVA'S POV

-Later-

Once we wrap up dinner I manage to chat briefly with the other princesses as well as some prince's.

After another hour or so all the guests have left.

Maxwell smiles, "So bow did you two find your first Royal Games?"

I smile and nod, "It was amazing. Vee, your thoughts?"

She grins, "Unforgettable."

The King and Queen smile before bidding us a goodnight.

I feel my eyes begin to sting. Yes, it is indeed time for bed. I'm exhausted.

I smile, "Please excuse me."

Maxwell smiles, "Goodnight Ava-Lane."

I smile, "Goodnight."

VERONICA'S POV

-Next Day-

It was a late afternoon, Maxwell and I were just on an afternoon stroll.

Before Maxwell could walk away I check if Ava is completely out of site. Which fortunately enough, she has.

I frown, "Maxwell, there's something urgent that I need to inform you about."

Hie raises his eyebrows, concerned etched across his features.

"Yes, of course. Is everything okay?"

I gently take his hand and lead him to my room.

Hesitantly, he follows.

I run to my dresser and pull out the letters.

He furrows his eyebrows, "What is this?"

I sigh, "Ava has not been truthful with you. Her and Sir Ross are still together, in fact there's are his most recent love letters to her from the day you met the families up until after the family meeting. What is most depressing is the fact that she has written to him as well. I'm so sorry that you needed to find out like this from me. But I know Ava would not have told you. I'm terribly sorry, Max."

He opens the letters.
Reads them.
Silence.

I watch his rage turn into hurt, regret and brokenness as he reads Ava's letter.

Missing accomplished.

MAX'S POV

I have no words.
The amount of betrayal and hurt is unexplainable.

I stuff the letters into my blazer pocket.

I glance up at Veronica, "Thank you. I um, I need to go."

She nods, "I understand, your Highness."

I place my hand in my pocket, to feel the red velvet box, containing the engagement ring.

How pathetic.

I was actually going to propose to someone who does not love me half as much as I love them.

Jealousy builds up inside of me.

As soon as I reach Ava's door I immediately barge in.

I can tell that she's startled, as she immediately jumps up.

She furrows her eyebrows, "Max, everything alright?"

Completely oblivious, she walks up to me before reaching out for my hands.

I flinch.

She raises her eyebrows.

I shove the letters out of my pockets and hand them to her.

I glare at her, "If this is who you love then I suggest you leave to him immediately."