TWENTY

MAX'S POV

Today is the day of the Royal Games! I'm so excited as I get to see close friends of mine that I never get time to see.

As soon as I make my way on to the gardens I see James already waiting for me.

I smile and run up to him, "Buddy, it's been a while."

He laughs, "Indeed it has. Wow, you're looking great, man."

I roll my eyes and laugh, "Thanks, but I mean look at you. How's Annalise?"

He laughs, "We'll be welcoming our air in the next eight months."

My eyes widen, "Seriously! Congratulations!"

He smiles, "Thank you, how about you? Have you decided on your Queen?"

I take a moment, "Kind of. See, there's Veronica, who is sweet and perfect for the title of being Queen. Then there's Ava-Lane who has stolen my heart and who can help me make an impact in the world."

James grins, "Seems to me like Ava-Lane is the one. I mean, you gave Veronica a one liner. Then when you spoke about Ava-Lane there was a mini paragraph of an explanation."

I nod, "Yeah. I told Ava that I loved her, but we were interrupted before she could respond. I guess I'm just trying to follow protocol by keeping Veronica here. You know what, tomorrow, I'm going to do it. I'll propose to Ava."

James winks, "Congratulations, buddy."

I laugh before he ruffles my hair.

AVA'S POV

Lorelai comes barging into my room with a Polo outfit.

I furrow my eyebrows, "I thought I was going to wear my dress?"

She laughs, "Yes, after you've participated in some activities. The dress is what you will wear to dinner this evening."

I nod, "Ah, that makes more sense."

Once I slip into my Polo outfit I glance at my reflection in the mirror.

Wow.

Once I make my way downstairs I notice Veronica in a polo dress

She furrows her eyebrows, "Why are you wearing that? You know you get the dresses, right?"

I shrug, "I what to participate in the games."

Veronica raises her eyebrows, "It's mainly a male's task to participate in the games."

I smile, "Well, I want to change that."

Veronica shrugs, "Suit yourself."

Once we make our way to the gardens all eyes fall on us. Whispers begin to disperse amongst the Royals.

Maxwell smiles, "May I present you Miss Ava-Lane Montgomery and Miss Veronica Walsh."

An applause erupts before the whispering and chattering proceeds.

Veronica has immediately begun to converse with some princess.

Maxwell smiles at me, "You're participating in the games?"

I smile and nod, "Indeed I am."

Maxwell calls out to someone, "James, this is Ava-Lane."

James smiles, "Ah, now I see what you meant. It is so nice to meet you Ava-Lane. Max has spoke very fondly and highly of you."

I smile, "Thank you. It's lovely meeting you.."

He smiles, "James. We don't need to add the Prince title."

I smile, "James."

The Queen calls out to me, "Ava-Lane, come with me. Let's go and make our rounds."

I smile, "Excuse me. Sure thing, your Highness."

She links her arm to mine before we go and find Veronica.

Once we find Veronica the Queen introduces her to everyone.

The Queen smiles, "This is my close friend, Queen Regina."

Veronica and I curtsey, "Your Highness."

She smiles, "Nice to meet you two dashing ladies. I have a question, when one of you become the new Queen, what would your first royal proclamation be?"

I take a moment, before I could answer Veronica smiles.

"Your Majesty, I would host more Royal Balls."

Queen Regian smiles, "How about you, Miss Montgomery?"

I smile, "I would break the categories and just let the people be. A title is merely an association to an individual, but what's inside defines us."

Queen Regina raises her eyebrows before composing herself and nodding, "Ladies, can you please excuse yourselves. I would like to have a word with my friend."

Veronica and I nod before walking away.

James smiles at me, "Ava! You up for a game of polo?"

I smile and nod, "I thought you'd never ask."

As soon as I walk up to the horses, all the Kings and prince's stare at me in shock.

I glance at Maxwell, "He prepared to lose."

He laughs, "Have you ever played polo?"

I shake my head, "Never. But I've done a lot of research. So I think I'm quite prepared."

James smirk, "Are you sure?"

I laugh, "There's only one way to find out."

THE QUEEN'S POV

Regina smiles, "Ava is the one."

I smile and nod, "I know. I can see how Maxwell behaves around her. He is just keeping Veronica around for protocol."

Regina smiles, "Is she playing polo? She reminds me an awful lot of Philip's mother."

I look through my binoculars. "

I smile, "Yes, I suppose she does."